Are you ready for the big Memorial Day weekend? The biggest grilling occasion of the year is almost here and everyone is busily planning their menus. Well, this burger will definitely be part of our menu this year. This special bacon cheeseburger all began when BeeBop saw someone make it on television a while back. And ever since he has been aggravating… er, uhm, asking me nicely if I’d make it for him. The only problem was that I didn’t see the show and he couldn’t remember which one it was.
Well, that shouldn’t be a problem should it? Food Network’s site is searchable, right? Not so fast. After searching every combination of words I could think of for “bacon cheeseburger” and doing several Google searches and still not finding the right recipe, I decided to just wing it. So, with what BeeBop remembered and what I thought would be good together, we created this interesting bacon cheeseburger recipe.
What I like most about this recipe is that the bacon is cooked right on top of the burger itself. First, this keeps you from having to wash a separate pan for the bacon (always a plus!) and second it imparts that fabulous bacon flavor all throughout the burger.
Start with a pound of good quality ground beef. We prefer ground chuck for burgers because of the higher fat content. Everyone knows fat equals flavor, but it also gives you a moist, juicy finished burger. Season the ground beef with salt and pepper. Now cut your bacon into about 1/2″ square pieces and press the bacon onto the top of the burger patties. Just press it down lightly so that it sticks to the ground beef.
Heat a griddle or cast iron skillet over medium high heat. BeeBop has a griddle insert for his grill. It’s great to use for recipes that create a lot of smoke like this one does. If you’re cooking this indoors, be sure you have a strong exhaust fan and crank it up as high as it will go. Put the patties bacon side down on the griddle and cook until the bacon is crispy and easily releases from the surface of the griddle when turned.
Cook burgers briefly on the second side until they’re as done as you like. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add a tablespoon of crumbled bleu cheese to the top of each burger.
Serve on whole wheat hamburger buns with your choice of condiments.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 strips bacon
- 4 tblsp. bleu cheese
- Season the ground beef with salt and pepper and form into four patties.
- Dice the bacon into pieces approximately ½-inch square.
- Lightly press one-fourth of the diced bacon into one side of each hamburger patty.
- Heat a griddle or cast iron frying pan over medium-high heat. Place the patties bacon side down on the griddle and cook until the bacon is crispy and easily releases when the patty is turned.
- During the last 5 minutes or so of cooking, top each burger with 1 tablespoon of crumbled bleu cheese.
- Serve on whole wheat hamburger buns with your choice of condiments.
Other bacon cheeseburger recipes you might enjoy from around the internet:
- “San Francisco” Bacon Guacamole Cheeseburger from Sippity Sup!
- Green Chile Bacon Cheeseburger from Everyday Southwest
- Stuffed Cheddar Bacon Cheeseburgers from Confections of a Foodie Bride
- Guinness Bacon Cheeseburger from Care’s Kitchen
What I was cooking…