Sometimes the best recipes happen completely by accident. That’s how this delicious soup happened. It was late yesterday afternoon when I realized that I had absolutely nothing planned for supper. The grandkids were getting hungry and it was either get in the kitchen and cook or go out. Honestly, I was so tired I would have just skipped dinner rather than put forth the effort of making myself presentable for going out. So into the kitchen I went.
I started pulling out Thanksgiving leftovers that I thought might go together in a soup. And, my word, what a delicious soup it turned out to be! All that leftover celery, onions, potatoes, and mushrooms combined with the turkey and stock to make a flavorful and nutritious soup that we all thoroughly enjoyed. Even the kids. Though I did have to fish all the mushrooms out of their bowls. Still.
Start by sauteing some celery, onions, and mushrooms with butter in a soup pot. Then just add the stock, cream of chicken soup, potatoes, turkey, and seasonings. Let that all simmer together just until the potatoes are cooked through. Top individual servings with grated cheese.
Use your Thanksgiving leftovers to make this satisfying turkey soup.
- 3 tblsp. butter
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 32 oz. chicken or turkey stock
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups diced Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 cups diced, cooked turkey
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 4 oz. grated Fontina cheese
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Add the celery, onions, and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until celery and onions are wilted and mushrooms and cooked down (about 6-7 minutes).
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a strong simmer and cook until potatoes are done (about 15-20 minutes).
- Serve in individual bowls topped with grated cheese.
Other turkey soup recipes you might enjoy from around the internet:
- Creamy Wild Rice and Turkey Soup from Taste and Tell
- Turkey Soup from Mixed Greens
- Turkey Tortilla Soup from Laylita’s Recipes
- Spicy Tomato and Turkey Soup with Ditalini from Iowa Girl Eats
What I was up to…