Offer your guests a bowl of Garlic Butter and Herb Popcorn. It's popcorn coated with garlic-infused butter and tossed with herbs and celery seed.
I love popcorn. It's almost always the snack I reach for first. And for just about any time of day. Afternoons, evenings, while watching television, or while playing a game with the grandkids. More often than not, it's just good old popped corn with butter and salt. But every once in awhile I like to fancy it up a little bit like I did with this Garlic Butter and Herb Popcorn.
I read somewhere recently that popcorn is the new cupcakes. In other words, the up and coming hot new trend in the food world. I think that's funny. I'd call it a good old staple that's enjoying a revival.
I've seen all kinds of spiced, sweetened, caramelized, candied popcorn on the internet recently. Those all sound good, but this Garlic Butter and Herb Popcorn is my favorite. It's coated with a garlic-infused butter and sprinkled with a blend of dried herbs, celery seed, and salt. Besides being a tasty snack, it's an interesting and slightly quirky item to offer guests with a cocktail.
How to Make Garlic Butter and Herb Popcorn
Start out with a large pan that has a tightly fitting lid. Melt the butter along with the garlic over barely medium heat. Allow the garlic to infuse into the butter for 3-4 minutes or longer being careful not to let the garlic start to burn. Remove the garlic from the pan and discard it.
Add the oil and popcorn and increase the heat to medium-high. Shake the pan occasionally while the corn is popping to distribute the butter throughout the kernels and to prevent the corn from scorching.
When most of the kernels have popped, remove the pan from the heat. Sprinkle over the herbs, celery seed, and salt. Put the lid back on and shake the pan vigorously to distribute the herbs throughout the popcorn.
More Snack Recipes from Never Enough Thyme
- Puff Pastry Cheese Straws
- Baked Fontina with Herbs
- Sweet and Spicy Peanuts
- Boiled Peanuts
- Spicy Cheese Crackers
Popcorn Recipes from Other Bloggers
- Salted Caramel Easter Popcorn from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Spicy Caramel Bacon Popcorn from A Cozy Kitchen
- Party Popcorn from She Wears Many Hats
- Maple-Bacon Kettle Popcorn from Brown Eyed Baker
- 6 Creative Popcorn Recipes from Real Simple
Garlic Butter and Herb Popcorn
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tblsp. canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves crushed and peeled
- 1 cup popcorn kernels
- 2 tblsp. herbes de Provence or dried herbs of your choice
- 1/4 tsp. celery seed
- 2 tsp. salt
- Choose a large pan with a tight fitting lid. Over medium heat, melt the butter with the garlic cloves. Allow the garlic to cook slowly with the butter for 3-4 minutes until the butter is infused with the garlic. Remove the garlic cloves and discard.
- Add the oil and increase the heat to medium high.
- Add the popcorn and cover the pan. As the popcorn pops, shake the pan occasionally to distribute the butter and to prevent the popcorn from burning.
- When most of the kernels have popped, remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle with herbs, celery seed, and salt. Replace the top and shake vigorously to distribute the herbs, celery seed, and salt throughout the popped corn.
Lana Stuart is the cook and occasional traveler here at Never Enough Thyme. Lana has been cooking since she was tall enough to reach the stove and started this blog in 2009 to share her delicious home cooking recipes. You'll find about 700 recipes here so there's sure to be something your family will like!
More About Lana →