Who remembers this recipe for Broiled Grapefruit straight out of 1960’s home economics class? Maybe even 1950’s or 40’s. I’m not sure, but I do remember Mama making it for us a few times years and years ago.
I just adore all kinds of citrus. Oranges, lemons, limes, mandarins, tangerines, kumquats…you name it, I like it. But especially grapefruit. I love its tart, bitter tang when combined with a little sweetness.
When broiling grapefruit, I don’t like mine cooked until it’s brown. I know most broiled grapefruit recipes take the cooking further, but I prefer it just barely golden and heated through. And I like a bit of the maraschino cherry juice drizzled over also. Just for good measure.
If you’re tired of the same old, same old for breakfast, try broiled grapefruit to shake things up a bit. I think you’ll like it!
To make broiled grapefruit for yourself, just start by cutting a grapefruit in half crosswise. Through the waist so to speak. Not up and down. If you want, you can cut a tiny bit off the bottom of each half so that it sits more securely in the pan, but be sure not to cut so deep that you expose the flesh. It’s also nice to go ahead and remove the seeds.
Preheat your broiler to its highest setting. Place the grapefruit halves in a pan, drizzle them with a little maraschino cherry juice and sprinkle each with a bit of brown sugar. Some people add a tiny pat of butter and you can if you want. I don’t.
Pop the pan under the broiler for 8 to 10 minutes (longer if you want more golden brown fruit). Remove from the oven and top each with a maraschino cherry.
More grapefruit recipes you might enjoy:
- Grapefruit Sorbet from How Sweet It Is
- Meringue Topped Baked Grapefruit from A Thought for Food
- Grapefruit Cranberry Marmalade from Kitchen Simplicity
- Grapefruit, Lime, and Maraschino Martini from Creative Culinary
- Citrus Salad with Mint Gremolata from A Communal Table
- Grapefruit Guacamole from No Recipes
What I was up to:
- One year ago: Tea Sandwiches – Three Ways
- Two years ago: Pork Chops and Pasta
- Three years ago: Cheesy Ham and Potato Bake
- Four years ago: Green Beans with Cherry Tomatoes