Broiled Grapefruit – grapefruit, cherry juice, and brown sugar broiled until the lightly browned and the grapefruit is warm. Great for breakfast or brunch.
Who remembers this recipe for Broiled Grapefruit straight out of 1960s home economics class? Maybe even 1950s or 40s. I’m not sure, but I do remember Mama making it for us a few times years and years ago.
I just adore all kinds of citrus. Oranges, lemons, limes, mandarins, tangerines, kumquats…you name it, I like it. But especially grapefruit. I love its tart, bitter tang when combined with a little sweetness.
When broiling grapefruit, I don’t like mine cooked until it’s brown. I know most broiled grapefruit recipes take the cooking further, but I prefer it just barely golden and heated through. And I like a bit of the maraschino cherry juice drizzled over also. Just for good measure.
If you’re tired of the same old, same old for breakfast, try broiled grapefruit to shake things up a bit. I think you’ll like it!
How to Make Broiled Grapefruit
To make broiled grapefruit for yourself, start by cutting a grapefruit in half crosswise. Through the waist so to speak. Not up and down.
If you want, you can cut a tiny bit off the bottom of each half so that it sits more securely in the pan, but be sure not to cut so deeply that you expose the flesh. It’s also nice to go ahead and remove the seeds.
Preheat your broiler to its highest setting. Place the grapefruit halves in a pan, drizzle them with a little maraschino cherry juice and sprinkle each with a bit of brown sugar. Some people add a tiny pat of butter and you can if you want. I don’t.
Pop the pan under the broiler for 8 to 10 minutes (longer if you want more golden brown fruit). Remove from the oven and top each with a maraschino cherry.
🧾 More Recipes You’ll Like
- Crescent Roll Breakfast Stacks
- Ham on Rye Breakfast Sandwich
- Easy French Toast Casserole
- Easy Weekend Breakfast Strata
- Spicy Breakfast Sausage
- Breakfast Casserole
- Instant Pot Spiced Orange Marmalade
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
I’d LOVE to know what you thought!
Leave a rating below in the comments and let me know how you liked it!
WE’RE ON FACEBOOK, TOO!
If you’d like to hang out with lots of other Southern Comfort Food lovers, make sure to join my FREE PRIVATE Facebook group.
- 1 red or white grapefruit
- 2 tsp maraschino cherry juice
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp butter optional
- 2 maraschino cherries
- Preheat your broiler on its highest setting.
- Cut the grapefruit in half crosswise.
- Drizzle each half with 1 teaspoon of cherry juice.
- Sprinkle with one tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Dot with a half teaspoon of butter, if using.
- Place in a shallow pan and cook under the broiler for 8-10 minutes. If you want your grapefruit to be more golden brown, increase the cooking time.
- Remove from the oven. Top with a maraschino cherry and serve.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.