Broiled Grapefruit – grapefruit, cherry juice, and brown sugar broiled until the lightly browned and the grapefruit is warm. Great for breakfast or brunch.
Who remembers this recipe for Broiled Grapefruit straight out of 1960s home economics class? Maybe even 1950s or 40s. I’m not sure, but I do remember Mama making it for us a few times years and years ago.
I just adore all kinds of citrus. Oranges, lemons, limes, mandarins, tangerines, kumquats…you name it, I like it. But especially grapefruit. I love its tart, bitter tang when combined with a little sweetness.
When broiling grapefruit, I don’t like mine cooked until it’s brown. I know most broiled grapefruit recipes take the cooking further, but I prefer it just barely golden and heated through. And I like a bit of the maraschino cherry juice drizzled over also. Just for good measure.
If you’re tired of the same old, same old for breakfast, try broiled grapefruit to shake things up a bit. I think you’ll like it!
How to Make Broiled Grapefruit
To make broiled grapefruit for yourself, start by cutting a grapefruit in half crosswise. Through the waist so to speak. Not up and down.
If you want, you can cut a tiny bit off the bottom of each half so that it sits more securely in the pan, but be sure not to cut so deep that you expose the flesh. It’s also nice to go ahead and remove the seeds.
Preheat your broiler to its highest setting. Place the grapefruit halves in a pan, drizzle them with a little maraschino cherry juice and sprinkle each with a bit of brown sugar. Some people add a tiny pat of butter and you can if you want. I don’t.
Pop the pan under the broiler for 8 to 10 minutes (longer if you want more golden brown fruit). Remove from the oven and top each with a maraschino cherry.
More Breakfast Ideas on Never Enough Thyme:
- Crescent Roll Breakfast Stacks
- Ham on Rye Breakfast Sandwich
- Easy Weekend Breakfast Strata
- Spicy Breakfast Sausage
- Breakfast Casserole
Grapefruit Recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Grapefruit Sorbet from How Sweet It Is
- Meringue Topped Baked Grapefruit from A Thought for Food
- Grapefruit Cranberry Marmalade from Kitchen Simplicity
- Grapefruit, Lime, and Maraschino Martini from Creative Culinary
- Citrus Salad with Mint Gremolata from A Communal Table
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
- 1 red or white grapefruit
- 2 tsp. maraschino cherry juice
- 2 tblsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. butter (optional)
- 2 maraschino cherries
- Preheat your broiler on its highest setting.
- Cut the grapefruit in half crosswise.
- Drizzle each half with 1 teaspoon of cherry juice.
- Sprinkle with one tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Dot with a half teaspoon of butter, if using.
- Place in a shallow pan and cook under the broiler for 8-10 minutes. If you want your grapefruit to be more golden brown, increase the cooking time.
- Remove from the oven. Top with a maraschino cherry and serve.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 89mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 1g
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make! if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post: