Make your own homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing. It's herby, tangy, lowfat and so much fresher than bottled. Great for salads and dips.
Salad dressing is something we all pick up in the grocery store without a second thought. But have you ever tried making your own at home?
One of my refrigerator shelves used to be packed with bottle after bottle of different types of salad dressings - Thousand Island, Catalina, Italian, Caesar...you name it, there was probably a half used bottle of it in there and Lord only knew how old it was. But since I started making my own dressings, all that space is cleared and we're enjoying fresh tasting, preservative-free dressings with our salads. Plus, a freshly homemade dressing tastes so much better than bottled that I can't even describe the difference!
One of the most popular dressings used in our home is a lowfat Buttermilk Ranch Dressing that we use both on salads and as a dip for fresh veggies. I just knew that I could recreate that dressing with fresh ingredients and make it as we needed it rather than having it days, weeks, years old out of a bottle.
I looked online for recipes and, of course, there are hundreds. So, I combined what I thought were the best parts of a lot of them and came up with a version that we really like. Hope you do, too.
How to Make Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
Measure all the ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour before serving to allow flavors to develop.
Note: If fresh herbs are available, substitute them, finely chopped, for the dried herbs. Use double the amount of fresh as dry. If the dressing seems too thick when ready to serve, thin with a few tablespoons of additional buttermilk. The recipe may be doubled or tripled as needed.
More Dressing Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Spring Salad with Strawberries and Sweet Balsamic Dressing
- Green Goddess Dressing
- Pear Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing
Homemade Dressing Recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Perfect Caesar Dressing Recipe from Natasha's Kitchen
- Catalina Dressing from A Family Feast
- Best Blue Cheese Dressing from Mountain Mama Cooks
- Wafu Dressing (Japanese Salad Dressing) from Just One Cookbook
- Olive Garden Salad Dressing from Copycat Recipes
- Honey Mustard Vinaigrette from A Couple Cooks
- Homemade Thousand Island Dressing from Kitchen Treaty
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- ¼ cup lowfat mayonnaise
- ¼ cup lowfat sour cream
- ¼ cup lowfat buttermilk
- ¼ tsp. dried chives
- ¼ tsp. dried parsley
- ¼ tsp. dried dill weed
- ⅛ tsp. garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. canola oil
- Pinch of salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- Measure all ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together.
- Cover and refrigerate at least one hour before serving to allow flavors to develop.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.