This light, refreshing Apple Cranberry Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette highlights beautiful autumnal flavors of apple, cranberry, and walnuts. It's a lighter side dish option for your Thanksgiving menu.
The big day is almost here! Have you started cooking yet? I have. But I'm still refining my menu and probably will be right up until we sit down at the table.
Oh, and I'm also including a new recipe this year that would be a welcome addition. On this day of feasting and heavy eating, it's sometimes nice to include at least one thing that's on the lighter side.
This lovely Apple Cranberry Salad would be a nice start to your meal and fits right in with its autumnal theme of apples, cranberries, and walnuts. And the balsamic vinaigrette is just delicious as well.
How to Make Apple Cranberry Salad
You'll start by toasting the walnuts. Place them in a dry skillet over medium-high heat.
Shake the nuts several times while cooking to prevent scorching. Toasting will take about 6 to 7 minutes. Just watch them carefully and remove them from the heat when they're nicely browned.
Set the walnuts aside to cool while you prepare the rest of the salad.
Slice the apples lengthwise into thin slices. I like a nice crispy, tart apple for this salad so I chose Granny Smith's. Just pick any variety that you particularly like.
Now, combine the apples, lettuce, walnuts, cranberries, and blue cheese in a large bowl.
Make the vinaigrette
Add the vinegar, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper to a small bowl. Slowly add the olive oil while whisking constantly. Serve the salad on individual small plates and pass the dressing for everyone to add separately.
You May Also Like ...
- Apple Cranberry Crumble
- Sweet Potato and Pecan Stuffing
- Apricot and Prune Stuffed Pork Loin
- Stuffed Turkey Breast
- Southern Cornbread Dressing
Have you tried this recipe? I'd love for you to give it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card and/or in the comments section further down.
You can always stay in touch on social media by following me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest and Sign Up to Get my Newsletter, too!
Apple Cranberry Salad
- 1 cup walnuts toasted
- 2 crisp apples I used Granny Smith
- 6 cups Butter lettuce Red Leaf lettuce, or a mix of both
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
For the vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove minced or grated
- 2 tblsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- In a dry skillet over medium-high heat, toast the walnuts. Shake the nuts several times while cooking to prevent scorching. Toasting the walnuts takes about 6-7 minutes.
- Set aside to cool while preparing the rest of the salad.
- Slice the apples lengthwise into thin slices. Combine the apples, lettuce, walnuts, cranberries, and blue cheese in a large bowl.
- Make the vinaigrette.
- Add the vinegar, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper to a small bowl. Slowly add the olive oil while whisking constantly.
- Serve the salad on individual small plates. Pass the dressing at the table.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.