Braised Cabbage - Tender cabbage cooked with bacon and caraway seeds is easy to make and great for you. Excellent source of vitamin C.
I'll be the first to admit that this is not the most beautiful recipe I've ever posted. And it's certainly far from being complicated. So, you're wondering, why are you posting this Braised Cabbage? For one reason only - because it's delicious!
Cabbage is one of those lowly vegetables that people tend to overlook in the produce section. Or they use it to make coleslaw or other summer salads. But I've always thought of cabbage as a winter vegetable. It's always there. Always reliable long after the delicate lettuces and summer greens are long gone. And, did you know that it's pretty darned healthy, too? Yep. Cabbage is an excellent source of vitamin C and contains significant amounts of an amino acid that has anti-inflammatory properties. Along with broccoli, it is also a source of a chemical which boosts DNA repair in cells and is believed to block the growth of cancer cells. So there.
I've always enjoyed cabbage pretty much any way you can cook it. BeeBop on the other hand, can just barely tolerate it being in the house. Something about the odor of cabbage cooking being comparable to the residue of the local sewage treatment plant. Whatever. Just give me a bowl of this, some pork roast and a big piece of cornbread and I'm happy.
How to Make Braised Cabbage
Start with some olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions, garlic, bell pepper and bacon and cook until the bacon is beginning to brown.
Then add the caraway seeds and cook for an additional minute or two.
Add the chicken stock and cabbage. Bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove the cover and simmer until the cabbage is tender - about 15-20 additional minutes.
More Cabbage Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
cabbage recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Colcannon from Simply Recipes
- Herbivoracious' Island Style Sweet and Spicy Cabbage
- Roasted Cabbage with Lemon from Kalyn's Kitchen
- Roasted Cabbage with Bacon from The Kitchn
- Irish White Bean and Cabbage Stew from the Fat-Free Vegan
Pinto Your Pinterest Vegetables Board!
- 1 tblsp. olive oil
- 3 slices bacon chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 small bell pepper chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¾ tsp. caraway seeds
- 1 medium head cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth or stock
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the bacon, onion, bell pepper and garlic.
- Saute for 3 to 4 minutes or until bacon is beginning to brown.
- Add the caraway seeds and cook for one additional minute.
- Add the cabbage and chicken broth to the saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the cabbage is wilted – about 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover and cook another 15-20 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make!
if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
Lana Stuart is the cook and occasional traveler here at Never Enough Thyme. Lana has been cooking since she was tall enough to reach the stove and started this blog in 2009 to share her delicious home cooking recipes. You'll find about 700 recipes here so there's sure to be something your family will like!
More About Lana →