This Hot Cabbage Slaw makes for a deliciously different side dish with chicken, fish, pork, or a sandwich.
We're busy as we can be around the Stuart house this week. The two most beautiful and intelligent grandchildren in the world are visiting us on their Spring Break!
We're having loads of fun, but we all wish the weather would cooperate a little better. Today, several days into official Spring time, it is in the 30's with a strong wind blowing and, can you believe it...light snow flurries.
So this Spring Break is not so much shorts, flip-flops, and lemonade as heavy coats, scarves, and hot cocoa. That's okay. As long as they're here, we don't mind very much.
Since winter seems to refuse to give up and give way this year, all the beautiful fresh, Spring produce is on hold as well. I sure am looking forward to red, ripe strawberries and tender asparagus. In the meantime, though, we're trying to be content with what's available right now.
This recipe makes a very nice change from standard side dishes and is particularly nice with a sandwich. Instead of the usual chips and pickle with your ham and cheese on rye, try this hot cabbage slaw. It's different and delicious. Easy and quick to prepare, and economical as well.
How to Make Hot Cabbage Slaw
To start, rinse the packaged slaw mix and drain it lightly. Place the slaw mix in a saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle with the salt and cover. When sizzling can be heard, reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the butter, milk, caraway seeds, tarragon, and black pepper. Stir to blend. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
More Great Side Dishes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Crispy Baked Okra Chips
- Zucchini Chips
- Baked Panko Onion Rings
- Bow Tie Pasta Salad with Tomatoes and Grapes
- Black Bean and Corn Salad
Slaw Recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Curried Apple and Pecan Broccoli Slaw from The Perfect Pantry
- Broccoli Slaw from Stacey Snacks
- Roasted Cabbage Slaw with Hazelnuts and Lemon from The Kitchn
- Winter Root Vegetable Slaw from Simply Recipes
- Coleslaw with Warm Bacon Dressing from Creative Culinary
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
Hot Cabbage Slaw
- 6 cups packaged slaw mix or shredded green or red cabbage
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tblsp. butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1 tsp. dried tarragon
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Rinse the cabbage, drain lightly, and place in a saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle with the salt and cover. When sizzling can be heard, reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the butter, milk, caraway seeds, tarragon, and black pepper. Stir to blend. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.
Lana Stuart is the cook and occasional traveler here at Never Enough Thyme. Lana has been cooking since she was tall enough to reach the stove and started this blog in 2009 to share her delicious home cooking recipes. You'll find about 700 recipes here so there's sure to be something your family will like!
More About Lana →