I'm sharing the very best Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich recipe and all of my tips and secrets for the perfect grilled cheese sandwich, every time!
I have a very easy recipe for you today. And a really tasty one, too! Every summer when tomatoes are at their height, I see post after post touting the classic Caprese salad on the blogs.
They always look beautiful with their perfectly sliced red tomatoes, gleaming white mozzarella cheese, and richly colored green basil leaves. Just gorgeous!
But, do you know what? I've never had a Caprese salad that wasn't, well to be honest...a little bit bland. Really.
So, I decided to take those classic ingredients and work them into a nice, warm, melty grilled cheese. And I can tell you with confidence, that this Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich is not the least bit bland.
It's the pesto that really perks it up and enriches the flavor. Plus, who doesn't like melty cheese?
And I'll tell you a little secret - I bake all my "grilled" cheese sandwiches. I started doing it out of frustration, actually.
Every single time I'd do them on the stovetop, I'd set off the smoke alarm and I hate that blaring thing! By baking them, you can do as many as you want all at once and no smoke alarm taunting you :-)
How to Make a Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Spread one slice of bread with half the pesto. Top with half the shredded mozzarella and sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with remaining mozzarella. Spread remaining bread slice with remaining pesto. Place on top of sandwich.
Spread one side of sandwich liberally with softened butter and sprinkle lightly with dried Italian herbs. Place buttered side down on a baking sheet. Repeat the butter and seasoning on the second side.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown, turning once halfway through cooking.
More Sandwich Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Mediterranean Pressed Sandwich
- Roasted Tomato Sandwich
- Ham on Rye Breakfast Sandwich
- Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese
- Grilled Cheese Florentine
Grilled Cheese Recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Super Frico Grilled Cheese Sandwich from Steamy Kitchen
- Strawberry Bruschetta Grilled Cheese from Foodie Crush
- White Pizza Grilled Cheese from How Sweet It Is
- Sweet Potato and Kale Grilled Cheese from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese from Closet Cooking
- Fried Green Tomato Grilled Cheese from A Cozy Kitchen
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
For each sandwich:
- 4 slices bread I used sourdough
- 4 tbsp prepared pesto
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella
- 4 slices tomato
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp softened butter
- ½ tsp dried Italian seasoning optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread two slices of bread with half the pesto. Top with half the shredded mozzarella and sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with remaining mozzarella.
- Spread remaining bread slices with remaining pesto. Place on top of sandwich.
- Spread one side of each sandwich liberally with softened butter and sprinkle lightly with dried Italian herbs. Place buttered side down on a baking sheet. Repeat butter and seasoning on second side.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown, turning once halfway through cooking.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.
Lana Stuart is the cook and occasional traveler here at Never Enough Thyme. Lana has been cooking since she was tall enough to reach the stove and started this blog in 2009 to share her delicious home cooking recipes. You'll find about 700 recipes here so there's sure to be something your family will like!
More About Lana →