Chicken and Mushroom Casserole - A lighter chicken casserole with mushrooms, brown rice, celery, and almonds.
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of recipes for chicken casserole in cookbooks and on the internet. So, why would you need another one? Because how can you ever have too many casserole recipes, right? They're usually quick to prepare, cook unattended while you're busy with something else, and nearly everyone likes them. That's why.
I have many, many chicken casserole recipes. Most of them I cook during the colder months, but this Chicken and Mushroom Casserole is really good any time of year. It's lighter than the standard cheese-sour cream-mayo-and-butter filled chicken casseroles. Not that those aren't delicious! They surely are. But this is the one I prefer when the temperature soars.
How to Make Chicken and Mushroom Casserole
The recipe calls for a cooked, deboned chicken. I think it is best with the combination of white and dark meats from a whole chicken, but if you don't happen to have one you can always just poach some chicken breasts and use those.
I simmered four breasts in water just to cover with a little salt, some peppercorns, and bay leaves. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred it or cut it into cubes.
Saute the mushrooms in butter until they just begin to brown. In a large bowl, combine the mushrooms with all the ingredients except the topping. Mix well.
Transfer to a well-greased casserole dish. Cook at 350 for one hour. Mix together the topping ingredients and sprinkle evenly over the top for the last 20 minutes of cooking time.
More Casserole Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Seafood Casserole
- Chicken Wild Rice Casserole
- Southwest Chicken Casserole
- Chicken and Artichoke Casserole
- Tuna Noodle Casserole
Chicken Casserole Recipes from Other Bloggers:
- King Ranch Chicken Casserole from Homesick Texan
- Grandma's Chicken Casserole from Betty Crocker
- Chicken Casserole from Taste of Home
- Creamy Chicken Spaghetti Casserole from The Pioneer Woman
Like This Recipe? PIn It!
Chicken and Mushroom Casserole
- 4 oz. sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 whole chicken cooked and deboned or 4 skinless, boneless breasts poached
- 1 ½ cups cooked brown rice
- 3 stalks celery sliced
- ½ small onion chopped
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 2 tbsp diced pimiento drained
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup water
- juice of ½ a lemon
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
For the Topping:
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute the mushrooms in butter until they just begin to brown on the edges. Combine with all ingredients except topping in a large bowl. Mix well. Place in a lightly greased casserole dish.
- Cook for one hour.
- Combine all the topping ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle over the casserole during the last 20 minutes of cooking time.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.
Lana Stuart is the cook and occasional traveler here at Never Enough Thyme. Lana has been cooking since she was tall enough to reach the stove and started this blog in 2009 to share her delicious home cooking recipes. You'll find about 700 recipes here so there's sure to be something your family will like!
More About Lana →