I’m in a vintage kind of mood today and I hope you are too, because this Cheddar-Pecan Cheese Ring with Strawberry Preserves is one of those recipes from way back. You know, back when we actually wrote them down on little cards and filed them in a box. Yes, I’m talking about before the internet.
I’m always so amused when I see someone post a recipe they’ve just “discovered” and are raving about it as the latest thing. More often than not it’s something (or a slight variation on something) that has been around for years and years.
I just want to say, “Girl, please. My friends and I were making that before you were born.” But I don’t. I just smile and feel happy that a new generation is enjoying all those recipes again.
This cheese ring is one that I’ve seen again recently. I remember when this recipe became popular in the early 70’s. It was during the time that Jimmy Carter was governor of Georgia and this was his wife, Rosalynn’s, cheese ring recipe.
The cheese ring enjoyed a resurgence in popularity when the Carters were in the White House. During those years, you couldn’t go to an event in Georgia with more than three people present and not find this cheese ring on the buffet.
And with good reason. It’s downright fantastic. Again, as I’ve said so many times before, here’s that combination of sweet and salt that Southerners love. The savory, salty cheese, onion, and mayonnaise combined with the sweet strawberry preserves. Deliciousness on a cracker, y’all.
Make this for your sweetheart for Valentine’s Day. You’re gonna love it. I promise.
Start by toasting the pecans in the oven at 350 degrees or in a dry skillet over medium heat. Let them cool while you proceed with the recipe. Set aside 2 tablespoons of pecans for garnish.
Grate the cheese with a box grater or food processor.
There’s me with a hand-operated tool again. I tell y’all, I just cannot get with the machines in the kitchen. They’re too noisy and disturb my happy place. But you know it will take you about 3 seconds in your food processor, right?
Oh, and I cannot stress enough that you should not use the packaged shredded cheese in this recipe. It just won’t work. The coating on the packaged stuff keeps it from sticking together. You must have freshly grated cheese. Got it? Okay.
Now, just put all the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until everything is thoroughly combined.
Turn the entire mixture out onto a board or serving plate and using your impeccably clean hands, shape it into a ring. Spoon the preserves in the center of the ring. Sprinkle the reserved pecans on top.
Serve this with assorted mildly flavored crackers. I like a sesame seed cracker best, but that’s just my preference.
The cheese ring may be made ahead and refrigerated but be sure to bring it to room temperature for serving. Leftovers also keep well for a few days in the refrigerator.
- 1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 small jar strawberry preserves
- Lightly toast the pecans in the oven at 350 degrees or in a dry skillet over medium heat. Let cool. Set aside 2 tablespoons of pecans for garnish.
- Grate the cheese with a box grater or food processor.
- Put all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Mix with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined.
- Turn the mixture out onto a board or serving plate. Using your hands, shape into a ring. Place preserves in the center of the ring. Sprinkle with the reserved pecans.
- Serve with assorted crackers.May be made ahead and refrigerated. Keeps well for a few days in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
OXO 1238580 Good Grips 3-Piece Silicone Spatula Set, 12-inch, Raspberry/White/Green
Pyrex 8 Inch Square Baking Dish with Red Lid
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Other recipes for cheese rings and balls you might enjoy:
- Bacon-Jalapeno Cheese Ball from Brown Eyed Baker
- Dessert Cream Cheese Ball from The Wannabe Chef
- S’mores Cheese Ball from Taste and Tell
- Bacon and Green Onion Cheese Ball from Real Mom Kitchen
- Spinach Artichoke Cheese Ball from Eclectic Recipes