Sausage Cheese Dip - That famous cheese and salsa dip with a little extra something.
Now this is an old standby recipe! It's based on the famous Velveeta RoTel Queso dip that everyone loves but with a few additions of my own.
It's great for any casual occasion and, honestly, I've never met anyone who didn't like it. Never.
I remember serving this sausage cheese dip once when we had a bunch of people over. Any time we have people to our house, we always include their children in the invitation. One of our friends brought their pre-teen son on this occasion.
It turned out that he'd never had this type of dip before and was a bit reluctant to try it at first. It took one bite. He was hooked. I thought that little guy was going to literally lick the bowl clean :-) That was years and years ago and BeeBop and I still giggle about it today.
Now I know this particular recipe is not the lightest, healthiest choice. There's nothing delicate or fussy about it. It kind of falls into the category that I call "grub."
And sometimes, especially when there's a game going on, you just crave a bit of "grub." With a nice, cold adult beverage. This one satisfies that craving perfectly ;-)
How to Make Sausage Cheese Dip
Place a medium skillet over medium heat. Spray liberally with cooking spray.
Break up the sausage into the pan and cook, stirring and separating the sausage until no pink color remains.
Remove the sausage to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. (Note: I use our favorite breakfast sausage for this recipe. You could also use Italian sausage here.)
Cut the Velveeta into roughly 1-inch chunks and add it with the salsa to the same skillet. No need to clean the pan in between.
And don't worry if there's some sausage stuck to the bottom, it'll come up and become part of the dip :-) Stir constantly until the cheese is completely melted.
Now add the sour cream, pepper, and drained sausage. Stir until thoroughly combined.
Serve with corn chips for dipping.
This recipe makes 4 servings. You can multiply it as many times as you wish to serve your guests. Also, I use mild sausage and mild salsa but feel free to use medium or hot versions of each if you like it really spicy!
More Dip Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Turnip Green Dip
- Beer and Three Cheese Dip
- Hot Baked Crab Dip
- Bean Burrito Dip
- Bacon and Blue Cheese Dip
dip recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Roasted Corn Dip from A Communal Table
- Artichoke Lemon Dip from Simply Recipes
- Seven Layer Dip from Brown Eyed Baker
- Easy Black Bean Dip from Two Peas and Their Pod
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
Sausage Cheese Dip
- Cooking spray
- 4 oz. pan sausage
- 8 oz. Velveeta cheese
- ½ cup salsa
- 2 tblsp. sour cream
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Place a medium skillet over medium heat. Spray liberally with cooking spray. Break up the sausage into the pan and cook, stirring and separating the sausage until no pink color remains. Remove the sausage to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Cut the Velveeta into roughly 1-inch chunks and add it with the salsa to the same skillet. Stir constantly until the cheese is completely melted. Add the sour cream, pepper, and drained sausage. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Serve with corn chips for dipping.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.