Chicken Bacon and Mushroom Sandwich on a whole grain boule with garlic mayonnaise, bacon, brie, caramelized onions, and mushrooms.
What's for dinner? That's the daily million dollar question, isn't it? And, you know, every dinner doesn't have to be a masterpiece. Nor a triumph of classic cooking. Sometimes dinner is just a sandwich. But that doesn't mean it has to be boring!
Now, in my opinion, there's nothing more boring than a cold sandwich full of cold meats and cold garnishes. Cold kills the taste of food for me.
If I'm going to serve a sandwich for dinner, it's going to be something nice and warm. With runny gooey cheese. And a tasty protein of some sort. In other words, a dinner sandwich at our house is going to be hearty.
This delicious creation more than meets the "hearty" description. It's downright decadent. A round boule of whole grain bread slathered with a garlic mayo combination and filled with bacon, sauteed chicken breast, brie, and caramelized onions and mushrooms. Yum. Yum.
How to Make Chicken Bacon and Mushroom Sandwich
Make the Garlic Mayo Spread
Making this sandwich requires a few individual steps, but nothing complicated. You begin simply by making a garlic-mayo-thyme spread. Set that aside.
Caramelize the Onions and Mushrooms
Next, you'll caramelize some onions and mushrooms in a large skillet.
Cook the Bacon and Chicken
When the onions and mushrooms have finished cooking, put them in a bowl to the side and cook the bacon in the same pan. When the bacon has finished cooking, add the chicken breasts to the pan where you still have the fat from the bacon and cook them as well.
Cut the chicken breasts crosswise into thick slices.
Now you have everything ready to start assembling your sandwich.
Assemble the Sandwich
Slice the boule through the center and remove most of the soft interior of the bread leaving a thick wall around the outside edge. Generously spread the cut sides of the bread with the mayonnaise mixture.
Hint: don't throw away the soft insides of the bread. Save it to use for bread crumbs.
Layer the base of the boule with bacon, thick slices of brie, the sliced cooked chicken breasts, and the caramelized onions and mushrooms.
Bake for 5 to 6 Minutes
Place the top on the loaf and wrap the whole thing in aluminum foil. Place the wrapped sandwich on the center rack of your oven and cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until the brie has begun to melt.
Remove the sandwich from the oven, remove the foil, and slice into wedges.
Feeding A Crowd?
This recipe is really great for a crowd. It already makes six servings and you can easily double or triple it for a larger group.
What Goes With This?
Serve your chicken bacon and mushroom sandwich wedges with a side of french fries, a nice fresh green salad, fruit salad, or pasta salad. Your favorite adult beverage also goes well with this meal.
Can I Make it In Advance?
You could make the sandwich in advance right up to the point of baking it. Wrap it in foil as directed and store it in the fridge. When ready to bake, remove the sandwich and allow it to come to room temperature (about 30 minutes) or add additional baking time of about 10 minutes to compensate.
Can I Store and Reheat It?
Sure can. Wrap any leftovers tightly in aluminum foil (if you're thrifty, you've saved the foil you baked the sandwich in) and store in your fridge for no more than three days. Reheat at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until warm throughout.
More Sandwiches on Never Enough Thyme:
- Roasted Tomato Sandwich
- Ham on Rye Breakfast Sandwich
- Asian Style Barbecue Chicken Sandwich
- Pork Tenderloin Sandwich with Peppers and Onions
- Chicken, Bacon, and Swiss Sandwich
Meal Sized Sandwich Recipes from Other Bloggers
- Cuban Roast Pork Sandwich from use real butter
- Classic Reuben from Simply Recipes
- Fried Egg Sandwich with Bacon and Blue Cheese from Smitten Kitchen
- The Marlboro Man Sandwich from The Pioneer Woman
- Honey-Chipotle Barbecue Chicken Sandwich from Cooking Light
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
Chicken Bacon and Mushroom Sandwich
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 3 tsp fresh thyme leaves divided
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices bacon
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts approximately 4 oz. each
- 1 lb boule whole grain bread
- 8 oz brie thickly sliced
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, grated garlic, and half of the thyme leaves. Set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook a few minutes or until wilted. Add the mushrooms and the remaining thyme. Stir together well, reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook until the onions are caramelized and the mushrooms and cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Place the skillet back on medium high heat and add the bacon. Cook until crisp and brown. Remove the bacon and set aside.
- Drain all but 3 tablespoons of bacon fat from the skillet. Add the chicken breasts and cook, turning occasionally, until done.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Assemble the sandwich:
- Slice the boule through the center. Remove most of the soft interior of the bread leaving a thick wall around the outside edge.
- Generously spread the cut sides of the bread with the mayonnaise mixture. Top with the bacon, thick slices of brie, sliced chicken breasts, and the caramelized onions and mushrooms. Place the top on the loaf and wrap in aluminum foil.
- Place on center rack of oven and cook for 5-6 minutes or until the brie has begun to melt.
- Remove from the oven and slice into wedges.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make!
if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post: