Chicken, Bacon, and Mushroom Sandwich on a whole grain boule, with garlic mayonnaise and layered with bacon, brie, caramelized onions, and mushrooms.
If you’ve been following along, you know that I’ve been sidelined for a few weeks with an injury that makes it pretty difficult to prepare a meal. BeeBop has been doing double and triple duty in the kitchen, laundry, and housekeeping departments, bless his heart, while I recuperate.
But last weekend, I just could not sit any longer. I had watched daytime television until I was sick of it and read books until I could hardly keep my eyes open. I just had to get in the kitchen. Had to.
So I started thinking about something I could cook with BeeBop’s help that wouldn’t take too long or put much stress on my foot. Sandwiches! Of course! But not just any old slap-them-together bread and cold cuts. Uh uh. I wanted something hearty.
During the afternoon, we had to make a little trip to a nearby town and all the way there and back I was formulating this recipe in my head. Running it by BeeBop as we drove. Refining it. Re-working it. And by the time we got back home, I was ready to go!
This delicious creation more than met the “hearty” description. It’s downright decadent. A round boule of whole grain bread slathered with a garlic mayo combination and filled with bacon, sauteed chicken breast, brie, and caramelized onions and mushrooms. Yum. Yum.
We even called Uncle John over to help taste test this one. He and BeeBop gave it a thumbs up or two.
How to Make Chicken, Bacon, and Mushroom Sandwich
It requires a few individual steps, but nothing complicated. You simply begin by making a garlic-mayo-thyme spread. Set that aside.
Next, you’ll caramelize some onions and mushrooms in a large skillet. When the onions are finished cooking, cook the bacon followed by the chicken breasts.
Slice the chicken breasts and then you’re ready to assemble!
Slice the boule through the center and remove most of the soft interior of the bread leaving a thick wall around the outside edge. Generously spread the cut sides of the bread with the mayonnaise mixture.
Top with the bacon, thick slices of brie, sliced chicken breasts, and the caramelized onions and mushrooms.
Place the top on the loaf and wrap in aluminum foil. Place on center rack of oven and cook for 5-6 minutes or until the brie has begun to melt.
Remove from the oven and slice into wedges.
More Sandwiches on Never Enough Thyme:
- Roasted Tomato Sandwich
- Ham on Rye Breakfast Sandwich
- Asian Style Barbecue Chicken Sandwich
- Pork Tenderloin Sandwich with Peppers and Onions
- Chicken, Bacon, and Swiss Sandwich
Meal-Sized Sandwich Recipes from Other Bloggers
- Cuban Roast Pork Sandwich from use real butter
- Classic Reuben from Simply Recipes
- Fried Egg Sandwich with Bacon and Blue Cheese from Smitten Kitchen
- The Marlboro Man Sandwich from The Pioneer Woman
- Honey-Chipotle Barbecue Chicken Sandwich from Cooking Light
- Cheese and Herb Waffle Toasts for Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Sandwich from Creative Culinary
Pin to Your Sandwich Pinterest Board!
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 3 tsp. fresh thyme leaves, divided
- 1 tblsp. olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices bacon
- 3 small (4 oz.) chicken breasts
- 1 lb. boule whole grain bread
- 8 oz. brie, thickly sliced
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, grated garlic, and half of the thyme leaves. Set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook a few minutes or until wilted. Add the mushrooms and the remaining thyme. Stir together well, reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook until the onions are caramelized and the mushrooms and cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Place the skillet back on medium high heat and add the bacon. Cook until crisp and brown. Remove the bacon and set aside.
- Drain all but 3 tablespoons of bacon fat from the skillet. Add the chicken breasts and cook, turning occasionally, until done.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Assemble the sandwich:
- Slice the boule through the center. Remove most of the soft interior of the bread leaving a thick wall around the outside edge.
- Generously spread the cut sides of the bread with the mayonnaise mixture. Top with the bacon, thick slices of brie, sliced chicken breasts, and the caramelized onions and mushrooms. Place the top on the loaf and wrap in aluminum foil.
- Place on center rack of oven and cook for 5-6 minutes or until the brie has begun to melt.
- Remove from the oven and slice into wedges.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- John Boos Block RA03 Maple Wood Edge Grain Reversible Cutting Board, 24 Inches x 18 Inches x 2.25 Inches
- Wusthof Classic Chef's Knife: 6"
- Measuring Cups and Spoons by Colmore Collection - Stainless Steel Metal 13 Piece Set, Classic, Stylish, Stackable for Dry and Liquid Ingredients, Perfect for Cooking and Baking
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 549Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 983mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 30g
Nutrition information is calculated by Nutritonix and may not always be perfectly accurate. Use your own judgment.
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make!
if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post: