Chocolate Walnut Pound Cake - A rich, moist pound cake with walnuts and a double dose of chocolate.
Of course y'all know that I love to cook, but did you know that I'm really not much of a baker? Baked goods kind of make me crazy. All that fiddly measuring and beating and folding. Well, it's just not so much my favorite kitchen activity.
I'd much rather be making a savory recipe, throwing in a dash of this and a pinch of that. So when I do decide to bake it's usually something easy and quick. Like a one pan cake or maybe muffins or cupcakes. They're just so easy and simple, you know?
That's why I thought this Chocolate Walnut Pound Cake would be the perfect recipe for a Valentine's Day treat. Simple ingredients. Not too much measuring. One pan. How could you go wrong with that? Plus it has a double dose of chocolate.
Serve this with a dollop of whipped cream. Or some fresh sweetened strawberries. Or both! Your Valentine will thank you.
How to Make Chocolate Walnut Pound Cake
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
Butter a 9x5x3 loaf pan and dust it with sifted cocoa. Any time you're making a chocolate cake, dust your pans with cocoa. It keeps the finished cake from having a dusting of white flour on the outside. Just makes a prettier layer.
Now cream the butter and then add the sugar gradually. Continue beating the butter and sugar for 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the batter alternately with the yogurt, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
Stir in the vanilla extract, nuts, and chopped chocolate.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes being very careful not to overcook.
Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn the cake out on a wire rack and allow it to cool completely.
More Cake Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
Chocolate Pound Cake Recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Bake or Break's Buttermilk Mexican Chocolate Pound Cake
- Chocolate Pound Cake from Leite's Culinaria
- Joy of Baking's Chocolate Pound Cake
- German Chocolate Pound Cake from She Wears Many Hats
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
Chocolate Walnut Pound Cake
- Sifted cocoa for preparing the pan
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 ⅓ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup walnuts coarsely chopped
- 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter a 9x5x3 loaf pan and dust with sifted cocoa.
- Cream the butter.
- Add the sugar gradually and continue beating for 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the batter alternately with the yogurt, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the vanilla extract, nuts, and chopped chocolate.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for approximately 1 hour, 10 minutes being very careful not to overcook.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Turn the cake out on a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.