Low Fat Carrot Raisin Muffins - a fantastic, sweet muffin made with yogurt, egg substitute, and applesauce. A favorite for breakfast and afternoon snacks.
At our house, we call these muffins, THE Carrot Raisin Muffins. That's how much we enjoy them.
Years and years ago, before there was Google, before there was Twitter, before there were blogs, there was Prodigy. You have to be pretty up there in years and have been a very early user of the internet to remember Prodigy.
It was back in the day with CompuServe. Before AOL even. See, I've always been a tech geek. I started playing around on the internet before there were browsers, when it was not much more than a few universities swapping text files and home enthusiasts with their BB's (bulletin boards).
You used your 1200 baud modem and dialed up the phone number for the BB you wanted to connect to. We were so cool.
Anyway, Prodigy was one of the first ISPs and a huge feature of Prodigy was their bulletin board system. People from all over the world could now share in conversations with other people from all over the world.
And, would you believe, one of the most favorite bulletin board areas on Prodigy was the food and cooking board. This muffin recipe was posted there by someone now long forgotten.
I've been making it ever since and it's still as good today as it was way, way back then. It has absolutely no fat but does have a fair amount of sugar. It's just one of our favorites.
How to Make Low Fat Carrot Raisin Muffins
Preheat oven to 350. Spray 8 jumbo or 12 regular muffin cups with nonstick spray.
Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and ginger in a medium bowl.
In another, larger bowl, combine carrots, yogurt, egg beaters, applesauce, raisins, brown sugar and vanilla.
Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture just until flour is moistened.
Spoon into pans and bake 30 minutes for jumbo muffins, 20 minutes for regular muffins or until they test done (dry in center). Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
More Muffin Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
Carrot Muffin Recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Healthy Carrot Muffins from Cookie + Kate
- Wholesome Carrot Muffins from Gimme Some Oven
- Carrot Banana Muffins from Elana's Pantry
- Spiced Carrot Muffins with Dried Cranberries and Pecans from Three Many Cooks
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
Low Fat Carrot Raisin Muffins
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cup shredded carrots about 3
- 8 oz. vanilla non-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup Egg Beaters
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray 8 jumbo or 12 regular muffin cups with nonstick spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and ginger in a medium bowl.
- In another, larger bowl, combine carrots, yogurt, egg beaters, applesauce, raisins, brown sugar and vanilla.
- Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture just until flour is moistened.
- Spoon into pans.
- Bake 30 minutes for jumbo muffins, 20 minutes for regular muffins or until they test done (dry in center).
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.
Lana Stuart is the cook and occasional traveler here at Never Enough Thyme. Lana has been cooking since she was tall enough to reach the stove and started this blog in 2009 to share her delicious home cooking recipes. You'll find about 700 recipes here so there's sure to be something your family will like!
More About Lana →