What’s the most perfect dipping sauce ever invented? Without a doubt, it’s Comeback Sauce! We use it for everything from chicken fingers to onion rings and fries to sandwiches. Once you try it, you’ll use this stuff on everything, too!
If I had to choose one dipping sauce to use for the rest of my life, it would undoubtedly be Comeback Sauce. This easy comfort food combination of pantry staple ingredients is perfect for my chicken fingers, onion rings, steamed veggies, fries, fried fish, and even to drizzle on meal-sized sandwiches like po’ boys, steak sandwiches, and roasted tomato.
You’re probably already wondering how it got the name “Comeback,” right? Well, it’s said that the sauce was originally created as the house dressing in a restaurant in Jackson, Mississippi, and just spread like wildfire across the south. As for “comeback,” it’s probably from the southern expression used when saying goodbye to loved ones – “y’all come back now.”
It’s very similar to Louisiana’s Remoulade, Utah’s fry sauce, and somewhat reminiscent of Thousand Island Dressing. It’s basically a spiced mayonnaise.
What You’ll Love About This Recipe
- Versatility. This is one of the most versatile recipes I know. It serves as everything from a salad dressing to a dipping sauce to a sandwich spread.
- Make it Your Own. Spice it up or down to suit your own tastes.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Mayonnaise (Use the “good stuff” – in other words, not low fat – for this recipe. I recommend Duke’s. Always.)
- Chili Sauce (Think of chili sauce as catsup with a kick. I recommend you use Heinz Chili Sauce for this recipe.)
- Dry Mustard (Colman’s is my favorite.)
- Hot Sauce (Any hot pepper sauce you like. I like Tabasco. You may prefer Texas Pete or Sriracha.)
You’ll find detailed measurements for all ingredients in the printable version of the recipe at the bottom of this post.
How to Make Comeback Sauce
It really could not be any easier. One step. Stir all the ingredients together in a small mixing bowl until thoroughly blended and smooth.
TIP: The sauce is best if made in advance (overnight at least) to allow flavors to blend.
Comeback Sauce will keep for a long time in the refrigerator. There’s no dairy in it and there is a good amount of acid from the lemon juice, ketchup, and mayonnaise. I often keep this sauce refrigerated for two weeks. Sometimes longer.
Yes! Comeback sauce is best if made and allowed to sit overnight in the fridge to enhance the flavors.
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup chili sauce (recommend Heinz brand)
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard powder (recommend Colman's brand)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce (recommend Tabasco brand)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Stir together all ingredients in a small mixing bowluntil thoroughly blended and smooth.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.