Ham and Cheese Quiche – a classic combination of eggs, ham, cheese, and veggies that is perfect for your lunch, brunch, or dinner.
I remember when recipes like this Ham and Cheese Quiche started becoming really popular in the 1980s. It was during the days of big hair, big shoulder pads, and very high heels. And didn’t we feel so elegant serving it to our friends for lunch? Oh, yes we did.
Well, fashions in clothing may change, but one thing is for sure – classic recipes like this one never, ever go out of style. I would say it’s still as popular today as it was with a glass of “white zin” back in the day.
Unfortunately for the guys, though, about the same time that quiche began gaining ground with the girls, a book emerged on the scene entitled “Real Men Don’t Eat Quiche: A Guidebook to All That Is Truly Masculine.”
Real Men was a tongue-in-cheek satire of masculine stereotypes which no one took seriously, but that phrase “real men don’t eat quiche” has forever lent a feminine connotation to one of the most enjoyable and versatile recipes in any cook’s repertoire.
Quiche is essentially an unsweetened egg custard pie with savory fillings – cheese, veggies, and sometimes protein. There are dozens, maybe hundreds, of versions of quiche, and I suppose the most classic quiche recipe would be Quiche Lorraine which contains bacon and Swiss cheese.
I also have recipes for tomato quiche, crab quiche, shrimp quiche, broccoli quiche…and on and on. However, this Ham and Cheese Quiche is my favorite version.
It’s just packed full of sharp cheddar cheese and ham and even BeeBop enjoys it – so long as I call it a ham and cheese “pie.” Wouldn’t want any of that fru-fru girl food on the plate, you know :-)
How to Make Ham and Cheese Quiche:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Mix the grated cheese and flour in a large bowl. Toss gently so the flour coats the cheese. Set aside.
Add the butter to a small skillet over medium heat. Saute the onion and bell pepper in the butter until the onion is wilted and translucent. Take care not to let the onion brown.
Add the ham, along with the onion and bell pepper mixture to the bowl with the grated cheese. Stir gently but thoroughly.
Spread the mixture in the bottom of the unbaked pie shell. Set the filled pie shell on a baking sheet.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix thoroughly and pour over the ham-cheese mixture in the pie shell.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or until set. Serves 6.
More Brunch Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Country Eggs Benedict
- Creamed Mushrooms with Poached Eggs
- Cinnamon Brown Sugar Waffles
- Spinach and Feta Wraps
- Ham and Cheese Strata
quiche recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Bacon Quiche from Pinch My Salt
- Everyday Southwest’s Mini Green Chile Quiche
- Ham and Asparagus Quiche from Simply Recipes
- Roasted Vegetable Quiche from use real butter
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
- 6 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tblsp. flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tblsp. butter
- 1 1/2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1 deep-dish pie shell, unbaked
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tblsp. finely chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 3/4 tsp. seasoned salt (recommend Lawry’s)
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the grated cheese and flour in a large bowl. Toss gently so the flour coats the cheese. Set aside.
- Add the butter to a small skillet over medium heat. Saute the onion and bell pepper in the butter until the onion is wilted and translucent. Take care not to let the onion brown.
- Add the ham, along with the onion and bell pepper mixture to the bowl with the grated cheese. Stir gently but thoroughly. Spread mixture in bottom of the unbaked pie shell. Set the filled pie shell on a baking sheet.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix thoroughly and pour over the ham-cheese mixture in the pie shell.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until set.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 120mg Sodium: 872mg Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 5g Protein: 21g
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make! if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post: