Orange Rosemary Grilled Chicken – fire up the grill and cook this delicious, savory chicken with an orange and rosemary marinade.
“Summer time and the living is easy.” Really? Easy, maybe; HOT, yes! Today was the tenth day in a row with high temperatures above 90 degrees and humidity to match. But that’s really just typical for the deep south at this time of year. Hot and humid. So humid that there’s a hazy look in the air. It’s like living in a sauna, but hey, it’s wonderful for your complexion!
Because of the heat, I was looking for something fabulous for dinner that wouldn’t heat up the kitchen and I found it in a delicious grilled chicken recipe from Real Simple that I adapted especially to suit our tastes. This chicken is marinated in a wonderful citrus and rosemary mixture, grilled and then served with a salad of romaine, orange sections and grilled onions.
This easy recipe is as nice for company as it is for a weeknight family meal. So, fire up those grills and start marinating.
How to Make Orange Rosemary Grilled Chicken
Make the Marinade
Prepare the marinade by grating ½ to 1 teaspoon of zest from 1 orange into a large mixing bowl. Squeeze in the juice from the orange. Add the juice of a lemon, ¾ tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper, garlic, rosemary and ¼ cup of olive oil. Remove and set aside ¼ cup of the mixture.
Add the chicken to the bowl, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. (Photo of raw chicken above…yuck and sorry.)
Prepare the Grill
Heat your grill to medium temperature. This is BeeBop’s “big rig” grill. It has five main burners, a side burner and a warming rack (or something like that). I usually never touch the “big rig.” It’s strictly BeeBop’s domain. But, you know what, I’ve seen him do it enough times that I thought, “I bet I could do that; what’s the big deal.” I cranked that big old grill up just like I knew what I was doing.
When BeeBop got home, he asked me what I was cooking and I told him I was grilling chicken. He said, “On the grill? Outside?” He had a vaguely panicked look on his face and went right out to the deck to see what was going on. I must have passed the test because he just said, “looks good.” I never told him that I forgot to turn off the gas when I was finished. I turned it off the next morning when I remembered. That evening he was completely perplexed that we were out of propane. Hmmm…
Grill the Chicken
So, after your grill has heated, place the chicken, skin side up, over indirect heat and cook, covered, for 35 minutes. I put the chicken over one burner which I turned off and left the ones on either side running. Made sense to me, anyway. Turn the chicken and cook, uncovered, over direct heat, until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Prep the Salad
Meanwhile, brush the onion slices with the remaining 1 tsp oil and season with ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Grill until tender, about 8 minutes.
Peel the remaining orange and slice into ¼-inch thick rounds. I like to make a game out of peeling the orange. If I cut it all off in one long piece I win! Hey, who said cooking wasn’t entertaining for the cook, huh? Cut the rounds into quarters.
Combine them with the grilled onion, lettuce, and reserved marinade/dressing in a bowl. Transfer to individual plates and serve with the chicken.
More Grilling Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Grilled Steak Bleu Cheese Salad
- Grilled Endive Salad
- Simple Grilled Fish
- Grilled Chicken Skewer Fajitas
Grilled Chicken Recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Quick Grilled Chicken with Oregano from Oh Sweet Basil
- The Best Grilled Chicken Marinade from Add A Pinch
- Honey Citrus Grilled Chicken from Cookies and Cups
- Grilled Chicken Street Tacos from Tastes Better From Scratch
Pin to Your Chicken Pinterest Board!
- 2 navel oranges
- 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 tblsp chopped fresh rosemary
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus 1 tsp
- 1 ½ pounds chicken thighs and/or drumsticks
- 1 large red onion sliced into rings
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- Grate ½ to 1 teaspoon of zest from 1 orange into a large mixing bowl. Squeeze in the juice from the orange. Add the juice from the lemon, ¾ tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper, garlic, rosemary and ¼ cup of olive oil. Reserve and set aside ¼ cup of the mixture. Add the chicken to the bowl, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat grill to medium. Place the chicken, skin side up, over indirect heat and cook, covered, for 35 minutes. Turn the chicken and cook, uncovered, over direct heat, until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush the onion slices with the remaining 1 tsp oil and season with ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Grill until tender, about 8 minutes. Peel the remaining orange and slice into ¼-inch thick rounds. Cut the rounds into quarters and combine them with the grilled onion, lettuce, and reserved dressing in a bowl. Transfer to individual plates and serve with the chicken.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill, 22-Inch, Black
Cuisinart CGS-134T Grilling Tool Set with Grill Glove, Teal and Stainless (3-Piece)
Pyrex Basics 2 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish with Red Plastic Lid - 7 inch x 11 Inch by Pyrex
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 501 Total Fat: 27g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 19g Cholesterol: 247mg Sodium: 407mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 10g Protein: 49g
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make!
if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post: