Overnight Sweet Rolls – an easy breakfast dish for guests or family. Uses frozen roll dough, butterscotch pudding mix, pecans and lots of butter!
These Overnight Sweet Rolls are one of BeeBop’s favorites. They are so good. So easy, too. Especially nice if you have a house full of overnight guests because you prepare everything the night before and bake them off the next morning.
But, I’m not going to lie to you. They are jam-packed full of buttery, sugary calories. That’s why we have them only about once a year.
I have a cookbook software program that calculates the calories, fat, etc of a recipe. When I put this one in and pressed “calculate,” it coughed twice and fell over on its side.
I got this recipe years ago from my friend, Joan, with whom I worked. She had gotten it from a friend, who got it from a friend, who got it….you understand.
How to Make Overnight Sweet Rolls
I love the simplicity of this recipe. There’s no mixing, proofing, or kneading at all. Instead, you’ll use frozen parker house rolls for the dough!
Other starring ingredients are pecans, butterscotch pudding mix, butter, sugar, and cinnamon. That’s it.
A note about the pudding. Apparently, NON-instant butterscotch pudding mix is a truly rare commodity. I always have trouble finding it when I want to make this recipe. So, if you try this and like it, and think you might make it more than once every five years, buy two or three boxes when you find them.
The night before:
Butter a 9×13 pan and spread nuts over the bottom.
Space frozen rolls on top of nuts.
Sprinkle with dry pudding mix.
Melt butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon in the microwave.
Stir until well blended.
Drizzle melted stuff over the top of the rolls.
Cover loosely with waxed paper and put in a cold oven overnight.
Now here’s a little trick: even waxed paper will stick to the thawed, risen rolls. So, to keep that from happening, I lay the waxed paper over the pan, spray the area that will touch the rolls with cooking spray, and then flip it over so that the sprayed side is over the rolls. Works pretty good!
The next morning:
Remove waxed paper and discard. Place pan back in oven and turn on to 350 F. Bake for about 20 minutes.
Remove from oven, cool slightly and invert pan onto a serving plate.
More breakfast recipes from Never Enough Thyme:
- Cinnamon Brown Sugar Waffles
- Crescent Roll Breakfast Stacks
- Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing
- Sausage Gravy and Biscuits with Tomatoes
Sweet Roll recipes from other bloggers:
- Raspberry Sweet Rolls from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Blueberry Sweet Rolls from My Baking Addiction
- The Best Glazed Orange Sweet Rolls from Averie Cooks
- Pineapple Cream Cheese Sweet Rolls from Baking a Moment
Pin to Your Pinterest Breakfast Board!
- 18-24 frozen Parker House rolls
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3.5 oz pkg Butterscotch pudding (NOT instant)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
The night before:
- Butter a 9×13 pan and spread nuts over the bottom.
- Space frozen rolls on top of nuts.
- Sprinkle with dry pudding.
- Melt butter, brown sugar and cinnamon in microwave stirring until well blended.
- Drizzle melted mixture over top of rolls.
- Cover loosely with waxed paper and put in cold oven overnight. Now here’s a little trick: even waxed paper will stick to the thawed, risen rolls. So, to keep that from happening, I lay the waxed paper over the pan, spray the area that will touch the rolls with cooking spray, and then flip it over so that the sprayed side is over the rolls. Works pretty good!
The next morning:
- Remove waxed paper and discard.
- Place pan back in oven and turn on to 350 F.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool slightly and invert pan onto serving plate.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
- Wilton 759284375082 Industries 2105-961 13x9 Oblong Cake Pan, 1-Pack
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
- OXO 1238580 Good Grips 3-Piece Silicone Spatula Set, 12-inch, Raspberry/White/Green
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make!
if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post: