Steak and Peppers is a go-to meal for busy weeknights. Braised round steak with green peppers and onions is served with steamed white rice.
We’re still busier than a whole hive of little workers bees around here. So busy that I would have sworn yesterday that I met myself coming back from the grocery store when I was going to the post office :-) So I’m going to keep today’s post short and sweet with this recipe for one of our favorites for a week night dinner.
This recipe has all the usual ingredients that you’d expect to find in Pepper Steak. The difference is in the cooking method. Where that recipe is usually cooked as a quick stir-fry, my Steak and Peppers recipe is cooked for a long time on the stovetop.
The prep time is very minimal and it doesn’t demand any attention from you at all once you get it going. Of course, that’s what I like best about it.
How to Make Steak and Peppers
Start by prepping two pounds of nice round steak. Remove any excess fat and discard it. Cut the steak into strips about 1″ x 3″.
Next, heat the oil in a large deep frying pan over high heat. Add the meat and sear it until it’s nicely browned.
Add the beef broth.
Then add the garlic powder, salt and ginger. Stir everything together very well. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and cover the pan. Cook at a simmer for 30 minutes.
While the steak is simmering, prepare the bell pepper and onions by cutting them into thin strips. Add them to the pan, bring the heat up again briefly, turn it down, cover the pan and simmer another 30 minutes or until the veggies are tender and the meat is cooked through.
In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch, water and soy sauce. Add the mixture to the pan and cook for a few minutes until the sauce is thickened.
Serve over hot, steamed rice.
🧾 More Recipes You’ll Like
- Creamy Steak and Mushrooms
- Salisbury Steaks and Mashed Potatoes
- Country Fried Steak
- Oven Baked Pot Roast and Gravy
More Questions? I’m happy to help!
If you have more questions about the recipe, or if you’ve made it and would like to leave a comment, scroll down to leave your thoughts, questions, and/or rating!
Thanks so much for stopping by!
Steak and Peppers
- 2 pounds round steak
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups beef broth
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Cut off any excess fat and discard. Cut the meat into approximately 1” x 3” strips.
- Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan over high heat.
- Add the meat and cook until browned.
- Add the beef broth, stirring well.
- Add the garlic powder, salt, and ginger and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat and cover the pan. Cook at a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the onion(s) and pepper by cutting both into thin strips.
- Add the onions and pepper to the pan, bring back to a boil, lower the heat and cook for an additional 30 minutes or until the veggies are tender and the meat is cooked through.
- Combine the cornstarch, water and soy sauce in a small bowl.
- Add to the pan and cook for a few minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Serve over hot steamed rice.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your healthcare provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.