Southern heritage recipe for Sweet Potato Casserole with pecan streusel topping. Always on our Thanksgiving table but great for any festive occasion.
Soon we’ll all be enjoying one of the most festive days of the year – Thanksgiving! Honestly, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.
There’s none of the gift buying and giving pressure that there is for Christmas, the decorations are beautiful without being so over the top, and the whole day is all about food! Even more than that, the idea of setting aside a day on which to just be “thankful” is humbling.
We may grumble about our situation sometimes, we may look at what others have accomplished with just a tinge of “wishfulness,” but if we truly look around we’ll find so much for which we should give thanks.
I was planning my Thanksgiving menu a few days ago and, as usual, it included my classic southern Sweet Potato Casserole. Oh my. It just wouldn’t be Thanksgiving here without sweet potatoes in some form or fashion and this casserole just happens to be my favorite.
This is pretty much the same the recipe that my mother has served for years. Some folks like theirs topped with marshmallows and some with this pecan and brown sugar mixture. I like both!
How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Topping:
Place the sweet potatoes in a deep pot with enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and cook 40-45 minutes or until tender. Remove the sweet potatoes from the water and allow them to cool enough to handle. I slice them open to facilitate the cooling process.
While the sweet potatoes cook, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and generously butter a baking dish.
Peel the sweet potatoes, place them in a mixing bowl and mash. To the mashed sweet potatoes, add the softened butter, light brown sugar, milk, egg, and vanilla. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. (Note: if your sweet potatoes are still quite warm, wait until you’ve beaten them for a minute or so before you add the egg. This will help keep the egg from cooking in the heat of the sweet potatoes.)
Spread the sweet potato mixture into the prepared baking dish.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the ingredients for the topping. Sprinkle evenly over the sweet potato mixture.
Bake for 30 minutes. Makes 4 servings. Easily doubles to serve a larger crowd.
More Southern Side Dishes on Never Enough Thyme:
sweet potato recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Dad’s Sweet Potato Pie from Joy the Baker
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries from Inspired Taste
- Scalloped Sweet Potatoes from Taste and Tell
- Bourbon Mashed Sweet Potatoes from Simply Recipes
- Apple Bacon Stuffed Sweet Potatoes from How Sweet It Is
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
For the topping:
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tblsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tblsp. softened butter
- Place the potatoes in a deep pot with enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and cook 40-45 minutes or until tender. Remove the potatoes from the water and allow them to cool enough to handle. Peel the potatoes, place in a mixing bowl and mash.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter a baking dish.
- To the mashed sweet potatoes, add the softened butter, light brown sugar, milk, egg, and vanilla. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Spread into the prepared baking dish.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the ingredients for the topping. Sprinkle evenly over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Easily doubled to serve a larger crowd.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 325 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 57mg Sodium: 118mg Carbohydrates: 45g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 19g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make! if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post: