Asiago Cheese Crisps

by Lana Stuart on May 1, 2012 · 19 comments

Asiago Cheese Crisps

I’m a huge collector of cookbooks. I just love them. I read them like other people read novels. So no one was surprised when I came home from a quick trip to our local Target with a new cookbook in my shopping bag. I often purchase cookbooks on impulse and later find that they aren’t very exciting. This time, however, I hit a jackpot.

The cookbook I bought is Food Network’s “1,000 Easy Recipes.”  The blurb on the back promised that “each recipe is just a paragraph long and a snap to make.” Uh-huh. I’ll believe that when I see it. But, know what? That blurb was right.  This is a really neat cookbook full of short, easy to make recipes. And the thing I like the best about it – there’s very little instruction. Many of the recipes tell you to use “some” of an ingredient. I like that. It makes me feel not so bound to the letter of a recipe.

The actual recipe for these cheese crisps from the cookbook was written like this:

Shred 1 pound cold asiago cheese. Place 6 tablespoon-size mounds of  cheese about 1 inch apart on a parchment-lined sheet. Sprinkle with chopped pine nuts and sage. Bake at 425 until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove each crisp with a spatula and drape around a rolling pin to cool slightly; cool completely on a rack.

That’s it. No formal list of ingredients and no detailed instructions. Exactly my kind of recipe.

If you see this cookbook for sale, I highly recommend it. It’s well worth the cover price.

Now, on to the cheese crisps (also known as “frico”). As promised, these were really quick and easy to make and they’re a perfect little nibble with a glass of wine. They’d also be nice to serve along with a bowl of warm tomato soup. Or even with a cold gazpacho.

Ingredients for Cheese Crisps

You only need three ingredients for this recipe – asiago cheese, fresh sage, and pine nuts.  Grate the cheese, finely mince the sage, and coarsely chop the pine nuts.

Preparing Cheese Crisps

Make little mounds of the cheese on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle each mound with a bit of sage and some of the pine nuts.

Cheese Crisps

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted and lightly browned. Allow the crisps to cool very briefly on the pan and then, working quickly while the crisps are still warm and pliable, remove each with a spatula and drape around a rolling pin to cool slightly. Move to a wire rack to cool completely.

You can also leave the crisps flat if you prefer. You could also substitute another cheese or herb according to your own preferences.

Asiago Cheese Crisps

Yield: 16 crisps

2 crisps

Asiago Cheese Crisps

• 1 lb. asiago cheese, grated
  • 5-6 large sage leaves, minced
  • 2 tblsp. pine nuts, chopped

1. Preheat the oven to 420 degrees.
  2. On a baking sheet lined with parchment, place six tablespoon sized mounds of cheese spaced evenly across the pan. Sprinkle with minced sage and chopped pine nuts.
  3. Bake until golden – about 8 to 10 minutes.
  4. Working quickly while the crisps are still warm and pliable, remove each with a spatula and drape around a rolling pin to cool slightly.
  5. Move to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Food Network’s 1,000 Easy Recipes

Other cheese crisp recipes you might enjoy from around the Internet:

What I was cooking…

1 Joanne @ Fifteen Spatulas May 1, 2012 at 11:32 am

Your asiago cheese crisps look AWESOME! Love the curvy shape. Thanks for the mention and so glad I got to check out your blog via the pingback!

2 Ilke May 1, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Gosh this is very easy! Have to remember this for the summer parties!

3 sunithi May 1, 2012 at 10:27 pm

wow ! these look sooo good and seems simple enough to make. Lovely recipe. Will try it sometime :)

4 Misty May 2, 2012 at 5:40 am

I am a cookbook lover as well and have seen that one at the bookstore and wondered if I should pick it up. Now I will definitely have to look at it more closely. Beautiful photos and the recipe sounds delicious.

5 Lana May 2, 2012 at 11:21 am

Misty, I think you’d regret purchasing that cookbook. It’s quite interesting.

6 Missy Johnson May 2, 2012 at 11:08 am

I can’t wait to try this. I think I’m going to attempt to mold them into a bowl shape and serve Caesar Salad out of them for Mother’s Day.

7 Lana May 2, 2012 at 11:22 am

Hi Missy – do let me know how that turns out for you. I’m not sure that it wouldn’t be messy since the crisps are quite porous. You might have Caesar dressing all over everything!

8 Missy Johnson May 2, 2012 at 11:24 am

I will let you know. I have some mini brioche pans that I think I will turn upside down and drape them over to cool.

9 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking May 2, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I always take advantage of any recipe in which I can use Asiago (love it!) so I’d love to try these! They look so good, Lana. Perfect for scooping up a big pile of guacamole or dip!

10 Missy Johnson May 2, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Edible shovel. hahaha!

11 Terra May 2, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Oh how fun! I love the addition of the pine nuts:-) Hugs, Terra

12 Jenn May 3, 2012 at 1:26 pm

This is such a great idea!! Never made cheese crisps before, I imagine they are a big hit!

13 Lana May 3, 2012 at 4:37 pm

They’re always a big hit, Jenn. Perfect with a glass of wine, a cold beer, or whatever you like. Kids always enjoy them.

14 Barbara | Creative Culinary May 5, 2012 at 12:37 am

These sound great Lana…I know how much I love peeling off the cheesy bits whenever they end up on a baking sheet accidentally…this would be a whole bunch of those on purpose…yum!

15 Lana May 5, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Exactly, Barb. And other cheeses work well, too, is Asiago isn’t your thing. Parm is particularly good. With or without herbs and pine nuts.

16 feastonthecheap May 12, 2012 at 5:39 pm

These look great! I definitely plan to take ‘em out for a spin when the fam gathers Memorial Day. Love the idea of using them as scoops for guacamole. Maybe I’ll make mine with Jack cheese. Happy Mother’s Day, Lana!

17 Lana May 12, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Great idea! These would be so good with guacamole.

18 Dan February 22, 2014 at 8:58 pm

I made these too, from the same recipe! I love them- so versatile. Yours look great!