Okra Chips

by Lana Stuart on June 25, 2013 · 24 comments

Okra Chips

There’s a grocery store in our area that I visit once, maybe twice, a year. It’s a special treat when I go because I’m a pretty frugal shopper and this store is most definitely high-end. It’s hard to even call it a grocery store really. It’s more like a deli with a bit of grocery around the outside edges. They have a wonderful bakery, very expensive meats, more cheese selections than I can count, and a fantastic prepared food section. It’s a food lover’s delight. But…it’s expensive!

One of the things I always buy when I go is a bag of their okra chips. It nearly kills me to pay what they charge for them, but they’re just so darned good I can’t resist. Or I couldn’t until the last two times I bought them. Both times they had a really bad off-taste. Like the oil they’d been cooked in had gone rancid. Yuck! It just broke my heart that my expensive treat went into the garbage bin.

So, instead of throwing away any more money I decided to try to make them myself. It couldn’t be that hard. Or could it? I searched the internet for recipes for okra chips and came up pretty much empty-handed. Most of the recipes I found were really for simple roasted okra. Which I do love, but roasted okra is still moist and tender. I wanted a crisp, tasty chip. Something that would crunch when I bit into it. Then, I found something that looked promising. A recipe for chili-lime okra chips. Okay…I don’t want the chili-lime part, but the chip…oh, yeah. I switched up the seasoning to suit myself and the result was so amazing! Just one word of warning…if you like okra, you won’t be able to stop munching on these.

Start by preheating your oven to 500 degrees.

Prepping okra for Okra Chips

Rinse the okra and slice each pod lengthwise.

Soak prepped okra in vinegar

Pat dry the prepped okra

Drain and rinse the sliced okra. Pat dry with paper towels.

Place the prepared okra in a large bowl and drizzle over the olive oil. Sprinkle in the salt and garlic powder. Toss until all pods are coated evenly with the oil and seasonings. Keep in mind that whatever seasonings you use will be greatly amplified during the cooking process. There is a lot of shrinkage of the okra which really concentrates any added flavors.

Okra chips ready for oven

Okra chips after initial roasting

After 20 minutes of cooking time, here’s what the okra will look like. Still tender but roasted. You can always stop here and serve it as a side dish if you like. For chips…keep going :-)

Reduce oven to 170

Remove from the oven and re-set the temperature to 170 degrees. When the oven has cooled to 170, return the pan to the oven and prop the door open. I used some metal tongs to hold it open just slightly. Continue to bake for 2-3 hours or until crisp. The final cooking time will depend on lots of factors – how small the okra is (smaller, young pods work best), how humid it is the day you’re cooking, etc. Try one after two hours and continue cooking if needed. I cooked mine for 3 hours this time, but sometimes it could take even 4 or more if it’s an especially humid day.

Finished okra chips

You can see how much shrinkage there is during the cooking process! That one pound of okra becomes just a handful of chips, but is it ever worth it! If you’re an okra lover, you’re going to really enjoy this recipe.

Be sure to let the chips cool completely before storing them. You can keep them in a sealed container for 2-3 days at room temperature.

Okra Chips

Rating: 51

Cook Time: 3 hours, 20 minutes

Total Time: 3 hours, 45 minutes

Okra Chips

Crispy, delicious okra chips!

• 1 lb. fresh okra
  • 1 tblsp. white vinegar
  • 1 tblsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder

1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
  2. Rinse the okra and slice each pod lengthwise. Place the sliced okra in a large bowl with enough water to completely cover. Add the vinegar and mix well. Let stand for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Drain and rinse the sliced okra. Pat dry with paper towels.
  3. Place the prepared okra in a large bowl and drizzle over the olive oil. Sprinkle in the salt and garlic powder. Toss until all pods are coated evenly with the oil and seasonings.
  4. Put the seasoned okra on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time.
  5. Remove from the oven and lower the temperature to 170 degrees. When the oven has cooled to 170, return the pan to the oven and prop the door open. Continue to bake for 2-3 hours or until crisp. Remove from the oven and cool for at least 30 minutes.
  6. May be stored at room temp for 2-3 days.

Other homemade chips recipes you might enjoy from around the internet:

What I was up to…

1 LindySez June 25, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Interesting, kind of roasted then dehydrated…makes a lot of sense. I’ve never been a huge fan of okra, my husband’s mother deep fried them, but that sort of takes away the advantage of eating vegetables…but I like this and will try it.

Gotta love the internet for inspiration!

2 Lana Stuart June 26, 2013 at 9:39 am

Yes, exactly! It is roasted for a bit and then allowed to dry at a low temperature until crispy. It creates a really intensified flavor.

3 Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles June 26, 2013 at 10:39 am

I think I can count on 2 fingers the number of times I’ve had okra. Not that I don’t like it, it’s just not a “thing” around here. These chips look fabulous!

4 Lana Stuart June 26, 2013 at 11:14 am

I love okra, Brenda, in every way you can imagine. I’m kinda like the Forrest Gump of okra – roasted okra, boiled okra, fried okra, okra with peas, okra chips…

5 Sues June 26, 2013 at 11:04 am

I’ve never cooked with okra before, but these look way too good not to! Perfect snack :)

6 Lana Stuart June 26, 2013 at 11:15 am

They’re a perfect afternoon snack! Of course, I have mine with a glass of sweet tea :-)

7 icakepops June 26, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Now this is just a fantastic idea! I can’t wait to make these!

8 Lana Stuart June 26, 2013 at 9:44 pm

When you make them, I’d love to know how you like them!

9 Rosie June 26, 2013 at 8:00 pm

WOW! These chips look fabulous, Lana! Am like you…love okra any way I can get it!!! Must be a South Georgia thang, huh? LOL

10 Lana Stuart June 26, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Must be because I love it every way I’ve ever had it! I could eat it every day.

11 Drick June 27, 2013 at 8:42 am

Wow… these are fantastic… and yes, we have a couple of those type of stores here too, I like how you did not plug them…
I’m with you Lana, I like chili-lime, but I dunno ’bout with okra…

12 Diane (createdbydiane) June 27, 2013 at 1:31 pm

They look great, can’t wait to give them a try.

13 Ronda K July 19, 2013 at 11:28 pm

I tasted these for the first time today and I almost fell over! I am a big fan of raw okra. My dad would chase me out of his garden as a child saying who needs animals when they have a Ronda…. (ha ha) I noticed the dark green color which I noticed. ( I now following in Daddy’s footsteps and grow a garden and can) This means there was some cooking involved as okra turns dark green when cooked. Then the light flavor of raw okra. That says they are not cooked long. Now for the crisp, has to be dehydrated. You have managed to take all three things I observed and make it into a recipe!!! I thank you!!!!! My okra is just getting ready to harvest soon and I am afraid I have a new side dish for that fresh tomato sandwich…… Finally a chip I will eat!

14 Ronda K July 19, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Sorry for the errors in grammar. Finding this has me all excited I can’t type right!

15 Sandra September 5, 2013 at 5:54 pm

So excited to find this recipe. Cooking fresh cut from our garden right now for supper. Can’t wait to taste it! Thanks!

16 Susan September 30, 2013 at 6:11 pm

followed directions, okra been in the 170 oven degree for4 hours now and still chewy, not crispy?????

17 Lana Stuart September 30, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Hi Susan – the cooking time will depend on many factors. One – how humid it is in your area the day you’re cooking; and two – how fresh the okra is. Fresher okra will have a higher moisture content requiring longer cooking time to dry. If you’re cooking the okra chips on a day with high humidity that will also add to the cooking time. I’d encourage you to give them another couple of hours and test them again.

18 Susan October 1, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Yes, they were very fresh! I will try again, but hey, okra jerky is good too! :)

19 Denise October 8, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Did you slice the okra just once per pod? I misread the recipe and sliced in three thin slice. It was a mess to wash and dry so I’m thinking only sliced in half may work better. Would love to know what others did.

20 Lana Stuart October 8, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Denise – I washed and dried it first then sliced each pod in half.

21 Rachel Cooks November 27, 2013 at 6:48 am

Love making homemade chips! Would you believe I’ve never had okra? Can’t wait to try this. And thanks for the link love!

22 Debbie March 5, 2014 at 11:25 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just tried some of these from my grocery store last night! They are, of course, gone! I loved them! I love okra, have since I was a kid and it doesn’t matter how it is prepared. But these are the BOMB! Thanks for the recipe. Will be trying this VERY soon! :-)

23 Lana Stuart March 5, 2014 at 11:54 am

Debbie – just remember that the cooking time can vary greatly depending on how fresh the okra is, how humid the weather is, and many other things. Just keep cooking them until they get to the crispiness you like.