Classic tuna melt – a kicked-up tuna sandwich on toasted ciabatta bread with tomatoes and cheddar cheese!
Tuna sandwiches are something we enjoy around here on occasion. They’re easy to make for a quick lunch and if you use low-fat mayo in the tuna salad, they’re actually pretty healthy.
This recipe is a bit different from my standard tuna salad which contains low-fat mayo, a little mustard, minced celery, minced apple (if you’re saying, “HUH?” just give it a try) and a little sweet pickle relish. Good on bread or just with your choice of crackers.
My Tuna Melt recipe takes those old tuna sandwiches up a notch and turns them into a very nice, satisfying dinner. Serve it with a fresh green salad dressed with a little vinaigrette.
How to Make a Tuna Melt
Preheat the broiler.
I used a nice ciabatta loaf for these sandwiches. I cut it in half, sliced it horizontally, then cut it into sandwich sized pieces. Do use whatever bread you like, but choose something substantial that will hold up to the tuna and toppings.
Toast the bread to a light golden color.
Combine the drained tuna, shallot, mayonnaise, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
Spread ¼ of the tuna mixture on each slice of toast. Top with tomato slices and 2 tblsp. cheese. Place sandwiches on a baking sheet and broil until the cheese is bubbling and golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
More Sandwich Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Roasted Tomato Sandwich
- Chicken, Bacon and Mushroom Sandwich
- Mediterranean Pressed Sandwich
- Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches with Horseradish Cream
Tuna Melt Sandwiches from Other Bloggers:
- Easy Tuna Melts from Spend with Pennies
- Tarragon Tuna Melt from Simply Recipes
- Mediterranean Tuna Melt from Leite’s Culinaria
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
- 4 slices ciabatta or other substantial bread
- 2 6-oz. cans tuna packed in oil, drained
- 1 medium shallot, minced (2 tblsp.)
- 2 tblsp. reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tblsp. lemon juice
- 1 tblsp. minced flat leaf parsley
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the broiler. Toast the bread to a light golden color.
- Combine the drained tuna, shallot, mayonnaise, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Spread 1/4 of the tuna mixture on each slice of toast. Top with tomato slices and 2 tblsp. cheese. Place sandwiches on a baking sheet and broil until the cheese is bubbling and golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 333Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 461mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 32g
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make! if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post: