Braised Green Beans - very tender haricot verts braised in chicken stock and garlic, seasoned with olive oil and lemon juice.
Right about now, you're probably thinking "Oh yeah...another recipe for green beans. Ho-hum." And you're about to keep right on browsing. But if you give me just a few minutes, you'll be really glad that you did.
Without being overly dramatic, I can say that these may be the best green beans I've ever eaten. The chicken stock and garlic that they're braised in give a nice mellow flavor to the beans and the lemon juice at the end adds a sharp, bright kick that really takes these beans to another level. Give this recipe a try - your family will thank you for it!
Get a Free Cookbook!
How to Make Braised Green Beans
This recipe can be made with either regular fresh green beans or haricot verts, the slender little French green beans that are so delicious. Clean and trim the beans, if necessary. The haricot verts usually only needed a few stems removed. It takes about five minutes of prep time.
You'll need a large skillet with a cover. In the skillet, bring the chicken stock and garlic cloves to a simmer over medium heat.
Add the green beans and thyme sprigs. Cover and cook until the beans are tender. Depending on how tender you like your beans, the cooking will take about 8 to 10 minutes.
The chicken stock should be nearly evaporated at the end of the cooking time. If it seems to be evaporating too quickly, add just a few tablespoons of water so that the beans don't cook dry.
When the beans are tender, remove and discard the thyme sprigs. Season with salt, pepper, olive oil, and lemon juice. Serve immediately.
More Recipes You May Like
- Old Fashioned Southern Green Beans
- Green Beans Caesar
- Green Beans with Bacon and Onions
- Barbecued Green Beans
- Green Beans with Cherry Tomatoes
Have you tried this recipe? I'd love for you to give it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card and/or in the comments section further down.
You can always stay in touch on social media by following me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest and Sign Up to Get my Newsletter, too!
Braised Green Beans
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 5 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 lb. haricot verts slender French green beans
- 3-4 sprigs fresh lemon thyme
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2-3 tblsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- Clean and trim, if necessary, the green beans.
- In a large skillet, bring the chicken broth and garlic cloves to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add the green beans and thyme. Cover and cook approximately 8 minutes or until beans are tender and chicken broth is nearly evaporated.
- Remove and discard thyme sprigs. Season with salt, pepper, olive oil, and juice of one lemon.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.