BBQ Beans - white beans baked with a luscious tomato sauce full of onion, bacon, and seasonings. Takes baked beans to the next level!
Today I'm taking the usual baked beans up a notch with my BBQ Beans recipe.
These BBQ Beans take a little longer to cook than my regular Baked Beans recipe, but they are so worth the wait! This recipe is just loaded with onion, bacon, and tomato goodness along with some brown sugar, barbecue sauce, and herbs. Yum, yum.
You can use almost any white bean in this recipe, but my preference is navy beans. Cannellini or white northern work as well. I do use canned beans, but dried beans work just as well. Be sure to soak them overnight and rinse well before cooking.
These BBQ Beans are delicious with so many meals - burgers, hot dogs, barbecue sandwiches, fried chicken....whatever you like. Heck, I've had them leftover just by themselves.
How to Make BBQ Beans
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Place the onion and bacon in a baking pan and drizzle with olive oil. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the onion has softened and the bacon has browned lightly.
Add the beans, tomato sauce, and water,
the brown sugar, barbecue sauce,
red pepper flakes, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Stir together until well combined.
Return to the oven and bake for an additional 1 hour or until the beans are tender.
Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
You May Also Like ...
- Beans on Toast
- Red Beans and Rice
- Pinto Bean Cakes with Salsa and Sour Cream
- Great Northern Beans with Tomatoes
- Pinto Beans with Fresh Tomato Relish
- Slow Cooker White Beans with Smoked Ham Hocks
Have you tried this recipe? I'd love for you to give it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card and/or in the comments section further down.
You can always stay in touch on social media by following me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest and Sign Up to Get my Newsletter, too!
- ½ large red onion thinly sliced
- 4 slices bacon cut crosswise
- Olive oil
- 3 15.5 oz. cans navy cannellini, or great northern beans, lightly drained
- 16 oz. tomato sauce
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup light brown sugar packed
- ⅓ cup barbecue sauce
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tblsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the onion and bacon in a baking pan and drizzle with olive oil. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the onion has softened and the bacon has browned lightly.
- Add remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 1 hour or until the beans are tender.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.