Last Sunday morning was really unusual. Why, you ask? Because I slept until 9:00! That almost never happens. Not that I’m an early, eager riser either. I just usually wake up around 6:30 or so on the weekends and can’t get back to sleep. Probably because that’s about my normal weekday wakeup time. BeeBop was already up and piddling around the house, being very quiet so that I could sleep in, sweetie that he is. So when I opened my eyes and saw how late it was, I practically jumped out of bed. It felt like I was just wasting the day away lying there and I couldn’t stand that!
Since it was sooo late (she said sarcastically), I thought I’d just make a quick breakfast of oatmeal and toast. And while I was cooking, BeeBop asked me whether my oatmeal recipe was on the blog. I really had to think a minute about that. Was it? Surely not. It’s just oatmeal, you know. Who needs a recipe, right? Then he reminded me that I make our oatmeal a little differently. Not much, but just a little jazzed up with the addition of dates and pecans. Not a big change but oh how it bumps up the flavor! So, here’s my Date Nut Oatmeal – oatmeal with dates, pecans, brown sugar and cream. Yum.
Other oatmeal recipes you might enjoy:
- Apple Pie Oatmeal from Add a Pinch
- Steamy Kitchen’s Creme Brulee Oatmeal
- Banana Berry Oatmeal from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal from Annie’s Eats
- Blueberry-Coconut Baked Steel Cut Oatmeal from Family Fresh Cooking
What I was cooking…
- One year ago: Peas with Lettuce
- Two years ago: Neena’s Company Chicken
- Three years ago: Pasta d’Arrabiata (Just a note – this was the first recipe I ever posted on the blog – my how time flies!)