If you love gingerbread and you crave apple cobbler, then this is the perfect dessert for you! This Gingerbread Apple Cobbler features layers of apple pie filling, topped with soft gingerbread, and crunchy pecan streusel, and needs only 15 minutes of prep time to create a grand family friendly dessert!
This scrumptious Gingerbread Apple Cobbler is so quick and easy to make! It features three luscious layers – apple pie filling on the bottom, soft gingerbread in the middle, and a crunchy pecan streusel on top. Yum!
Let me warn you, though, that this recipe uses pre-packaged ingredients (gasp!). Yes, a boxed cake mix and canned pie filling (double-gasp!). I’ll probably have my official food blogger card revoked for this, but you know what? I don’t see a thing wrong with it.
So what if the ingredients are already measured and boxed for me and the pie filling is cooked and canned. That saves me loads of time that I could spend with my family instead. But, if you want to make up your own gingerbread and peel apples for hours and cook up your own pie filling, please do.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- It’s so easy – boxed and canned ingredients are used to best advantage.
- All the best flavors of autumn in one dish.
- Takes just 15 minutes to prepare.
- Gingerbread Cake and Cookie Mix (I recommend Betty Crocker brand 14.5 ounce mix for this.)
- Apple Pie Filling (Use your favorite brand. This saves you the time of coring, peeling, and cooking apples.)
- Pecans (You can substitute walnuts if you prefer.)
You’ll find detailed measurements for all ingredients in the printable version of the recipe at the bottom of this post.
How to Make Gingerbread Apple Cobbler
Let’s Go Step-by-Step
I always like to show you the photos and step-by-step instructions for my recipes to help you picture how to make them in your own kitchen. If you just want to print out a copy, you can skip to the bottom of the post where you’ll find the recipe card.
This recipe really couldn’t be simpler to put together. Start by measuring out two cups of the gingerbread mix.
Stir it together with ¾ cup of water until you have a smooth mixture. Set that aside for now.
Next, mix together the remaining gingerbread mix and the brown sugar. Cut in ¼ cup of butter until you have a crumbly mixture. Stir in the pecans. Also, set that aside for now.
Cutting in Butter – to “cut in” butter, put the flour and butter into a bowl. Use either a pastry blender, a fork, or two knives to cut the butter until the mixture of flour and butter resembles coarse crumbs. The butter pieces will be approximately the size of peas. If you’re a visual learner, like me, here’s a great video that shows exactly how to cut in butter.
Combine the two cans of apple pie filling and the remaining ¼ cup butter in a large heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the butter is melted and the filling is thoroughly heated.
Now, assemble the cobbler in a greased 11×7 baking dish. Simply pour the hot pie filling mixture into the dish.
Top the filling evenly with the gingerbread batter.
Sprinkle the pecan mixture evenly on the top.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until set. Allow the cobbler to rest for 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Place the baking pan on a cookie sheet to catch any pie filling that might accidentally bubble over during the baking time.
You can make the recipe in advance up to adding the pecan streusel on top. Store the base and the streusel separately in the refrigerator. When ready to bake, remove from the fridge and allow it to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Add the streusel to the top and bake as instructed.
Cover any leftovers with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to three days. Reheat individual portions in the microwave.
I don’t have a specific brand of apple pie filling that I think is best. They’re pretty much the same, so just use whatever is easily available to you.
Have you tried this recipe? I’d really appreciate you giving it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card or in the comments section.
AND REMEMBER TO SIGN UP FOR MY FACEBOOK GROUP.
If you’d like to hang out with me and lots of other online Southern Comfort Food lovers, make sure to join my FREE PRIVATE Facebook group.
Gingerbread Apple Cobbler
- 14.5 ounces gingerbread mix (recommended: Betty Crocker Gingerbread Cake and Cookie Mix)
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup light brown sugar packed
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 42 ounces apple pie filling (two 21-ounce cans)
- Vanilla ice cream optional
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Stir together 2 cups gingerbread mix and 3/4 cup water until smooth. Set aside.
- Stir together remaining gingerbread mix and brown sugar.
- Cut in ¼ cup butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in chopped pecans. Set aside.
- Combine apple pie filling and remaining ¼ cup butter in a large saucepan.
- Cook, stirring often, over medium heat until butter is melted and filling is thoroughly heated.
- Lightly grease an 11×7 baking pan.
- Spoon hot pie filling mixture into the baking pan.
- Spoon gingerbread mixture evenly over hot apple mixture.
- Sprinkle with pecan mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until set.
- Serve with ice cream.
- I recommend using Betty Crocker brand 14.5 ounce Gingerbread Cake and Cookie Mix for this recipe.
- Walnuts can be substituted for pecans if you prefer.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.