Italian Sausage and Rotini – a quick, simple weeknight dinner. Pasta with an Italian sausage, tomato, and black olive sauce.
We all need quick and easy recipes for week nights, don’t we? Even if you don’t work an 8 to 5 office type job, you’re still probably busy every day right up until dinner time.
And even though I love to cook, there are days when I just don’t want to have to think very hard about getting supper on the table. I know you can relate.
When one of those really busy days rolls around, one of the easiest things to do is to put on a pot of water, boil some pasta, and add a sauce. Something quick to cook but delicious and satisfying. Like this Italian Sausage and Rotini.
This sauce is simply browned Italian sausage with tomatoes, black olives, fresh basil, and a few seasonings. Really nothing fancy, but very pleasing to sit down to after a busy day.
How to Make Italian Sausage and Rotini
Cook the pasta as directed on the package. While the pasta is cooking, proceed with the rest of the recipe.
Note: you can use any short cut pasta you like for this. Penne works well as does rigatoni. Even elbow macaroni if that’s what you have on hand!
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil.
Remove the casings from the sausage and tear it into about 1-inch chunks. Add it to the skillet.
Cook and stir while breaking up the sausage until almost no pink color remains. A potato masher does a great job of breaking up the sausage while it’s cooking.
Add the garlic and cook, covered, stirring occasionally until the garlic has softened.
You know, you don’t have to slice the garlic, right? Mince it or crush it…whatever. I just sliced it this time. No real reason.
Add the tomatoes with their juice, black olives, basil, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper. Reduce the heat to medium low. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the tomatoes are nicely softened.
Drain the pasta and add to the meat sauce. Stir well to combine.
Serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese if desired.
More Pasta Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato (BLT) Pasta
- Pasta d’Arrabiata
- Creamy Ham and Red Bell Pepper Pasta
- One Pot Pasta Dinner
Italian Sausage Recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Spicy Italian Sausage Rice Bowl from Noble Pig
- Italian Sausage and Bean Soup from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Italian Sausage Turkey Burgers from Eclectic Recipes
- Orecchiette with Hot Italian Sausage from Sunday Nite Dinner
- Italian Style Garbanzos and Sausage from She Wears Many Hats
- Italian Sausage and Spinach Stuffed Shells from Eat at Home
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
- 8 oz. rotini pasta (or other short cut pasta)
- 1 tblsp. olive oil
- 3/4 lb. Italian sausage
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup halved ripe black olives
- 2-3 tblsp. chopped fresh basil
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook the pasta as directed on the package. While the pasta is cooking, proceed with the rest of the recipe.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil.
- Remove the casings from the sausage and tear it into about 1-inch chunks. Add to the skillet. Cook and stir breaking up the sausage until almost no pink color remains.
- Add the garlic and cook, covered, stirring occasionally until the garlic has softened.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice, black olives, basil, red pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the tomatoes are nicely softened.
- Drain the pasta and add to the meat sauce. Stir well to combine.
- Serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese if desired.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 498Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 1013mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 4gSugar: 12gProtein: 22g
Nutrition information is calculated by Nutritonix and may not always be perfectly accurate. Use your own judgment.
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make! if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post: