My slightly sweet, slightly savory version of Tuna Salad made with diced, crispy apple, and sweet pickle relish. Serve it with crackers or as a sandwich.
I've been sitting here staring at my computer screen for about thirty minutes now trying to think of something to say about tuna salad.
Tuna salad. Seriously?
It's one of those things that most of us throw together without much thought. And I'd bet that almost every person reading this makes theirs just a little differently.
Maybe you like pickles in yours and maybe you don't. Maybe someone else likes a tiny bit of mustard stirred in or some finely chopped scallion.
BeeBop definitely likes what I would say is a savory tuna salad. His version includes finely chopped dill pickles, finely chopped green onion, a tiny touch of mustard, and a bit of mayo to bind it all together.
I, however, prefer this sweet-savory tuna salad. It has just the right amount of sweetness from the apple and pickles and just the right amount of savory from the tuna and mayonnaise.
Must be my southern roots. Southerners love their "sweet and salt" you know. Give us a biscuit with a pat of butter, a slice of salty ham and spoonful of sweet peach preserves, and we're in heaven. Or some perfectly cooked field peas or butter beans with a bit of pear relish on the side. It's as much a part of us as "please and thank you", "yes ma'am and no ma'am", and "y'all."
So, with a nod to my fellow Southerners who no doubt understood the previous paragraph perfectly, here's my favorite tuna salad.
How to Make Tuna Salad?
It's easy! To make my sweet-savory Tuna Salad, simply place all the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and stir gently to combine. Serve as sandwiches or as a salad with fresh, sliced tomatoes and crackers or melba toast.
More Salad Recipes on Lana’s Cooking:
- Winter Shrimp Salad
- Tomato and Avocado Salad
- Cucumber Salad with Sour Cream and Dill
- Not Quite Classic Waldorf Salad
- Ham and Black Bean Summer Salad
- Cannellini Bean and Tuna Salad
tuna salad recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Simply Recipes' Tuna Salad Sandwich
- Simon's Famous Tuna Salad from Taste of Home
- Ina Garten's Tuna Salad on Food Network
- Tuna Caesar Antipasto Salad from Star Kist
- Chicken of the Sea's Bloody Mary Tuna Salad
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
- 2 4.5 oz cans light tuna in extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium apple diced small
- 1 rib celery diced small
- 2-3 tblsp. sweet pickle relish lightly drained
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- 4 tblsp. light mayonnaise
- Drain the tuna of any excess oil.
- Place all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Serve as sandwiches or a salad with fresh, sliced tomatoes and crackers or melba toast.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.
Have you tried this recipe? I'd love for you to give it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card and/or in the comments section further down.
You can always stay in touch on social media by following me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest and Sign Up to Get my Newsletter, too!