I have a fantastic recipe for your game day parties! Delicious Meatballs with Dijon Whiskey Sauce.
So, are you ready for the biggest football game of the year? Just in case you don’t have the details yet, the 53rd Super Bowl will be played starting at 6:30 p.m. this Sunday, February 3. Now, for me and BeeBop, it’s kind of a non-event. Neither of us follows professional football. If we watch, it’ll be all about the commercials and, of course, the food!
Did you know that Super Bowl Sunday is one of the biggest days of the year for food bloggers? Our blogs get tons of visits on that day from people looking for the perfect thing to serve during the big game.
Now when it comes to football food or the kind of recipes that I tend to call “grub,” I’ll take some help from the grocery store every time.
For instance, in this recipe, I’ve used purchased frozen meatballs. I mean, really, who has time to roll out dozens of little meatballs on Super Bowl Sunday? Not me. But if you really want to do that, please go ahead.
The sauce is what really makes this recipe special. It’s a combination of chili sauce, Dijon mustard, Tennessee sippin’ whiskey, soy sauce, and brown sugar – kind of a mustardy barbecue sauce with a kick. And it is yummy.
Be sure to simmer it down until it’s nice and syrupy but be careful not to let it burn (there’s a lot of sugar in there). You can cook your meatballs and sauce and then keep them warm in a slow cooker on low heat all during the game.
I serve these meatballs with celery sticks and ranch dressing on the side. Sets off the meatballs perfectly.
Hope you enjoy this one!
How to Make Meatballs with Dijon Whiskey Sauce:
In a deep pot or Dutch oven, whisk together all the ingredients except the meatballs.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Add the meatballs and bring the mixture back to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to simmer for 35 minutes, stirring frequently. Cook until the sauce is thickened and meatballs are heated through.
Serve with celery sticks and ranch dressing on the side.
More Meatball Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Jumbo Meatballs and Spaghetti
- Tex-Mex Meatballs and Rice
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Meatballs in Creamy Tomato-Dill Sauce
meatball recipes From Other Bloggers:
- Korean Style Cocktail Meatballs from Spoon Fork Bacon
- Drunken Cranberry Cocktail Meatballs from The View From Great Island
- Lemon Tarragon Cocktail Meatballs from No Recipes
- Slow Cooker Meatballs with Orange Marmalade from The Chic Life
- Saucy Asian Meatballs from Garnish with Lemon
- 12 oz. bottle chili sauce
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup whiskey (I use Jack Daniel’s)
- 5-6 shakes Tabasco
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 14-oz. bags frozen meatballs
- For serving: celery sticks and ranch dressing
- In a deep pot or Dutch oven, whisk together all ingredients except meatballs. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the meatballs and bring the mixture back to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to simmer for 35 minutes, stirring frequently. Cook until the sauce is thickened and meatballs are heated through.
- Serve with celery sticks and ranch dressing on the side.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
- Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast-Iron 5-1/2-Quart Round French (Dutch) Oven, Flame
- OXO Good Grips Better Flat Wire Whisk
- OXO Good Grips Wooden Corner Spoon & Scraper
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make!
if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post: