You know how sometimes you see someone making a recipe on television and you just automatically know how delicious it would be? You find yourself watching them and thinking, “Ooooo…look at that! I’ve gotta make that right now.” Well, that’s exactly what I thought when I saw this recipe for a warm vegetable salad. I could just imagine the taste of the lemony-garlic dressing over warm new potatoes and green beans with bits of roasted red pepper in there. Yum. I wasted no time getting this one on the table and I was absolutely right – it is delicious.
See, I’m really a savory kind of girl. Not that I don’t enjoy sweets. I do. But, I’d push a cake and two pies right off the buffet to make room for a perfectly cooked ribeye. Or a fabulous potato salad like this one.
You’ll start this salad by washing the potatoes. No peeling necessary! Then bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until they’re tender. Takes about 10-12 minutes.
While the potatoes are cooking, trim and cut the green beans. I used haricot vert, those tiny little baby green beans for this. I like them much better than the regular beans which often have a sort of “grassy” taste to me. The haricot vert are just so tender and tasty and they cook very quickly. I just cut them in half, but if you use regular green beans you may need to cut them lengthwise too. Use your own judgment on that.
Once the potatoes are nice and tender, remove them with a slotted spoon and drop the beans into the same boiling water. They’ll only need about 3 minutes to get tender. Remove them from the pot to a large bowl. Cut the potatoes into bite-size pieces while they’re still warm and add them to the bowl with the beans.
Cut the roasted peppers into about 1-inch square pieces and toss them in, too. You can roast the peppers yourself if you want, but I really like these Vigo brand flame roasted peppers. Vigo makes quality stuff that makes my life easier :-)
Add the scallions, parsley and garlic and toss everything together.
Make the dressing by combining the oregano, lemon juice, zest and white wine vinegar in a small bowl. Whisk in the olive oil. Stir in the salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the warm vegetables and toss well to coat everything with the dressing.
This fabulous salad would go well with many main dishes. Particularly grilled chicken or steak. And it would be great for taking to picnics. I’d take the dressing in a separate container and combine it right before serving.
Hope you like this one! It was a big hit here.
- 1 ½ pounds small new potatoes
- ¾ pounds green beans, trimmed and halved
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 2 roasted red bell peppers (suggestion: Vigo brand)
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 tblsp. white wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Wash the potatoes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the boiling water and add the green beans to the pot.
- Cook the beans until tender (about 3 minutes). Remove the green beans to a large bowl.
- Slice the potatoes into bite size pieces while still warm and add them to the bowl with the green beans.
- Cut the roasted red bell peppers into approximately 1” inch square pieces. Add to the bowl with the potatoes.
- Add the scallions, parsley and garlic and toss well to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the oregano, lemon juice, zest and white wine vinegar. Whisk in the olive oil. Stir in the salt and pepper.
- Pour over the warm vegetables and toss well to coat with the dressing.
–Recipe from Giada de Laurentiis’ “Giada at Home”
Some products used in this post:
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Other potato salad recipes you might enjoy from around the internet: