Baked Mozzarella with Prosciutto and Cherry Tomatoes is a delightful appetizer with cherry tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, and prosciutto all baked together until warm and bubbly.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
This Baked Mozzarella with Prosciutto and Cherry Tomatoes is something I made up on a Saturday afternoon because I was craving Italian flavors and didn’t want pizza or pasta. I served it “communal style” (that is, standing around the kitchen counter) with crusty garlic bread for dipping in and scooping up the melted cheese.
Ever since that Saturday afternoon, we’ve enjoyed this dish again and again for a quick snack or a light lunch. I’ve even served it as a pre-dinner appetizer with drinks.
It works either way – appetizer, snack, lunch, and could also serve as a dip with large croutons made from a good baguette. It’s particularly good with a glass of crisp, white wine.
🔪 How to Make Baked Mozzarella with Prosciutto and Cherry Tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and place in an ovenproof baking dish. Sprinkle the tomatoes with the salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the basil and parsley over the tomatoes.
- Add the finely chopped green onions and garlic.
- Slice (or grate) the mozzarella into thick slices and place on top of other ingredients.
- Tear the prosciutto into thin ribbons and drape it evenly over the cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is hot and bubbly and the prosciutto is crispy. Serve with crusty bread for dipping.
👉 PRO TIP: Select mozzarella that will melt without “weeping” very much or else the dish will be watery. The fresh mozzarella packed in water is tempting, but it’s not the best choice for this dish. Choose one that is a bit drier such as a block-type mozzarella that’s meant to be sliced or grated.
More Questions? I’m happy to help!
If you have more questions about the recipe, or if you’ve made it and would like to leave a comment, scroll down to leave your thoughts, questions, and/or rating!
Thanks so much for stopping by!
Baked Mozzarella with Prosciutto and Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 green onions diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese sliced or grated
- 3 ounces prosciutto torn
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half and place in an ovenproof baking dish; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle basil and parsley over tomatoes
- Add green onions and garlic.
- Slice the mozzarella into thick slices and place on top of other ingredients.
- Tear the prosciutto into thin ribbons and drape over the cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is hot and bubbly and prosciutto is crispy.
- Serve with crusty bread for dipping.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your healthcare provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.
— This post was originally published on April 6, 2009. It has been updated with new photos and additional information.