Peas with Lettuce - Fresh English peas cooked with chicken stock and tender young lettuce is a great early springtime side dish.
Last Saturday BeeBop and I were roaming around one of our favorite shopping places, Sam's Club, and way back in the back past all the other fruits and veggies I spotted something out of the corner of my eye. Could it be? Really? Fresh English peas? In the middle of winter?
As y'all already know, we've had one more miserable winter around here. Snow. Ice. More snow. And so cold. Bone chilling cold - well, for this south Georgia girl it's bone chilling.
So, those packages of bright, green, fresh peas looked like nothing short of a breath of Spring to me! Did I care that they were not even in season? I did not. Did I care that they were shipped here from Guatemala? Nope. All I cared about in that moment was that those peas made me think of Spring. And warmth. And longer days with lots of sunshine. Ahhhh.....
I brought two packages of those little green gems home knowing exactly what I wanted to do with them. I've seen lots of recipes for Peas with Lettuce and always thought it looked so inviting. I used a bit of one recipe and a bit of another and some of my own to create this dish for dinner last night. It was delicious and helped me remember that Spring really is just around the corner.
How to Make Peas with Lettuce
Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Add the green onions and cook until softened but not browned.
Remove any stem and hard core from the lettuce and cut it into large shreds. I used a small Boston lettuce for this, but any small, tender lettuce (such as Butter lettuce) works fine.
Add the peas and lettuce. Stir well. Add the chicken stock and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook for 10 minutes (5 minutes if using frozen peas).
More Fresh Veggie Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Old Fashioned Southern Green Beans
- Roasted Asparagus
- Tomatoes Provencal
- Tomato Zucchini Tian
- Baked Acorn Squash
Fresh English Pea Recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Green Garlic Soup with Fresh English Peas from Albion Cooks
- YumSugar's Pasta with Peas, Asparagus, and Butter Lettuce
- Grilled English Peas from Simply Recipes
- Fresh English Pea Soup from Reluctant Entertainer
- Peas with Butter and Shallots from For the Love of Cooking
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
Peas with Lettuce
- 3 tblsp. butter
- 2-3 green onions sliced
- 12 oz. fresh shelled English peas (or a 10 oz. package of frozen peas)
- 1 small head bibb or boston lettuce shredded
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add the green onions and cook until softened but not browned.
- Add the peas and lettuce. Stir well.
- Add the chicken stock and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes (5 minutes if using frozen peas).
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.
Lana Stuart is the cook and occasional traveler here at Never Enough Thyme. Lana has been cooking since she was tall enough to reach the stove and started this blog in 2009 to share her delicious home cooking recipes. You'll find about 700 recipes here so there's sure to be something your family will like!
More About Lana →