Make this squash and cornbread casserole as a delicious side dish for all your late summer suppers.
Even though summer may be starting to wind down a bit, there's still loads of lovely produce available. One of my summer favorites is gorgeous yellow squash. I like it every way you can think of. Sauteed, fried, or steamed with onions.
BeeBop, on the other hand, is not a fan. I've never understood that since he does like zucchini. But not so much the yellow version. The exception - this Squash and Cornbread Casserole.
This is an old recipe that has been in my files for years and years. If anyone knows the origin, please let me know because I haven't a clue. It's sort of a cross between a casserole and cornbread and makes a great side dish for summer suppers. I like to serve it with chicken, grilled or fried, and field peas or okra.
How to Make Squash and Cornbread Casserole
Set your oven to preheat to 350 degrees. Generously grease a 9x9 square baking dish and set it aside.
Finely chop a medium onion.
Using the large holes on a box grater (or your food processor if you'd rather), grate the squash. Every little bit of it is usable except the very tip top and, honestly, that might be just fine grated in there, too.
I know a lot of people would use the food processor, but I'd just as soon take 3 extra minutes to do it by hand than to clean up the food processor. I'm really old-fashioned that way :-)
In a large bowl, add the cornbread mix, sour cream, and egg.
Stir together until just combined.
Add the grated squash and remaining ingredients except the butter. Stir gently to combine.
Pour into the prepared dish. Dot the top with butter.
Bake for 1 hour or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool slightly.
Serve and enjoy!
More Casserole Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Broccoli Casserole
- Chicken Wild Rice Casserole
- Hash Brown Casserole
- Seafood Casserole
Squash Casserole Recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Squash Casserole from CopyKat Recipes
- Parmesan Squash Casserole from Favorite Family Recipes
- Zucchini Bake with Feta and Thyme from Kalyn's Kitchen
- Two Cheese Squash Casserole from Southern Living My Recipes
- Yellow Squash Casserole from Real Housemoms
- Squash Casserole from Add a Pinch
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
Squash and Cornbread Casserole
- 8.5 oz box cornbread mix recommend: Jiffy brand
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 3 cups grated yellow squash
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 tblsp. butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Generously grease a 9x9 square baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornbread mix, sour cream, and egg. Stir until just combined.
- Add the remaining ingredients except butter. Stir gently to combine.
- Pour into prepared dish. Dot the top with butter.
- Bake 1 hour or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly.
Lana Stuart is the cook and occasional traveler here at Never Enough Thyme. Lana has been cooking since she was tall enough to reach the stove and started this blog in 2009 to share her delicious home cooking recipes. You'll find about 700 recipes here so there's sure to be something your family will like!
More About Lana →