Today I’m sharing another great recipe for a party. And it’s a good one for any kind of get-together. Whether you’ve got a crowd coming over for the Super Bowl, or having cocktails with friends, this Pickled Shrimp is always a favorite.
Now, of course, everybody loves shrimp, don’t they? Boiled and seasoned just right served along with a fiery horseradish cocktail sauce. Yum! Never have met anyone who didn’t like them. And these pickled shrimp are really just that taken to another level. A level brought about by pickling. And what a kick you get from the pickling solution. Wow! It’s a shrimp cocktail with attitude, y’all.
This is one of those recipes that don’t have exact measurements. Just use what you need to make up your container of pickled shrimp. Start with fresh, peeled and deveined shrimp. Cook them in salted boiling water until they just turn opaque and pink. No more than 5 minutes. Drain the shrimp in a colander and rinse with cold water to prevent any further cooking.
Now, using a container (or two) large enough to hold all the shrimp with a little extra space, start layering your ingredients. Start with half the shrimp, a layer of thin lemon slices, a layer of thinly sliced onions and a couple of tablespoons of capers. Repeat with the remaining shrimp, and another layer of lemon slices, onions and capers. Add enough cider vinegar so that all the ingredients are covered and top it off with a drizzle (a tablespoon or so) of extra virgin olive oil.
Close the container and refrigerate for 6-8 hours. Serve with cocktail sauce on the side.
Layers of shrimp, lemon slices, onion and capers marinated in cider vinegar.
- Fresh shelled and deveined shrimp
- Lemons, thinly sliced
- Onions, thinly sliced
- Cider vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Add shrimp to a pot of boiling, well salted water. Cook for 3-5 minutes or shrimp become pink and opaque.
- Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.
- Layer shrimp with lemon slices, onion slices and capers in a container with a tight fitting top.
- Cover with vinegar and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Allow to marinate for 6-8 hours refrigerated.
- Serve chilled with cocktail sauce on the side.
Other pickled shrimp recipes you might enjoy from around the internet:
- Pickled Shrimp from Bon Appetit
- Paula Deen’s Pickled Shrimp
- Pickled Shrimp recipe by Frank Stitt via Martha Stewart
- Citrus Pickled Shrimp from Food and Wine
What I was cooking…