The big day – Christmas – is just four days away! Ask me if I have everything done. Go ahead. But be ready for the glare that comes back your way :-) No, just like most everyone else I’m still running around like a crazy person trying to finish all the hundreds of little tasks that have to be completed by next week. And loving every minute of it. Really. I am.
During this time of craziness, it’s really comforting to know that you have recipes that are quick to make when friends stop by or to take with you to holiday parties. And these Cheesy Mushroom Pinwheels appetizer couldn’t be easier or tastier. It’s loaded with cream cheese and mushrooms and made even easier by using one of Pillsbury’s refrigerated pizza crusts.
All you do is chop up some mushrooms and green onions very finely.
Then you cook those for a little while in a bit of butter.
Let that mixture cool and then combine it with some softened cream cheese.
Roll out the pizza crust, slather on the cream cheese and mushroom mixture…
roll the whole thing up and cut it into slices.
Put the slices on a greased baking sheet, brush them with egg wash and sprinkle them with poppy seeds. Pop the baking sheet in the oven and cook until golden brown.
You can serve these little gems either warm or at room temperature. They’re great with a glass of wine or whatever your libation of choice might be.
Note: I am required by FTC rules to disclose that I will receive compensation from General Mills for this post. However, all opinions are strictly my own. Always have been. Always will be.
- 2 cups (about 6 oz.) minced mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- 1 tblsp. butter
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 Pillsbury thin pizza crust
- Cooking spray
- 1 egg
- 1 tblsp. water
- 2 tsp. poppy seeds
- Cook the mushrooms and green onions in butter until softened. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then combine with the cream cheese and salt in a small bowl. Spread the cheese-mushroom filling over the pizza crust.
- Roll the pizza crust from the long side pinching the ends to seal. Cut the roll into ½-inch slices and place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Combine the egg with water in a small bowl and brush over each slice. Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake at 400 degrees 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a baking sheet to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Other easy hors d’oevvres you might enjoy from around the internet:
- Black Pepper and Parmesan Puff Pastry Cheese Straws from Always Order Dessert
- Cheese and Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms from Family Fresh Cooking
- Crab Dip from Lemons and Anchovies
- A collection of Super Fast, No Cook Appetizers from The Kitchn
- Baked Brie from Taste of Home
- Warm Rosemary Olives from MyRecipes.com
What I was up to…
- One year ago: Pecan Pralines
- Two years ago: Thumbprint Jewels
- Three years ago: Homemade Marshmallows