I remember when quiche started really becoming popular in the 1980’s. It was during the days of big hair, big shoulder pads, and very high heels. And didn’t we feel so elegant serving it to our friends for lunch? Oh, yes we did. Well, fashions in clothing may change, but one thing is for sure – classic recipes like this Ham and Cheese Quiche never, ever go out of style. I would say it’s still as popular today as it was with a glass of “white zin” back in the day.
Unfortunately for the guys, though, about the same time that quiche began gaining ground with the girls, a book emerged on the scene entitled “Real Men Don’t Eat Quiche: A Guidebook to All That Is Truly Masculine.” Real Men was a tongue-in-cheek satire of masculine stereotypes which no one took seriously, but that phrase “real men don’t eat quiche” has forever lent a feminine connotation to one of the most enjoyable and versatile recipes in any cook’s repertoire.
Quiche is essentially an unsweetened egg custard pie with savory fillings – cheese, veggies, and sometimes protein. There are dozens, maybe hundreds, of versions of quiche, and I suppose the most classic quiche recipe would be Quiche Lorraine which contains bacon and Swiss cheese. I also have recipes for tomato quiche, crab quiche, shrimp quiche, broccoli quiche…and on and on. However, the Ham and Cheese Quiche is my favorite version. It’s just packed full of sharp cheddar cheese and ham and even BeeBop enjoys it – so long as I call it a ham and cheese “pie.” Wouldn’t want any of that fru-fru girl food on the plate, you know :-)
- 6 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tblsp. flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tblsp. butter
- 1 1/2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1 deep-dish pie shell, unbaked
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tblsp. finely chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 3/4 tsp. seasoned salt (recommend Lawry’s)
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the grated cheese and flour in a large bowl. Toss gently so the flour coats the cheese. Set aside.
- Add the butter to a small skillet over medium heat. Saute the onion and bell pepper in the butter until the onion is wilted and translucent. Take care not to let the onion brown.
- Add the ham, along with the onion and bell pepper mixture to the bowl with the grated cheese. Stir gently but thoroughly. Spread mixture in bottom of the unbaked pie shell. Set the filled pie shell on a baking sheet.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix thoroughly and pour over the ham-cheese mixture in the pie shell.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until set.
Other quiche recipes you might enjoy:
- Bacon Quiche from Pinch My Salt
- Everyday Southwest’s Mini Green Chile Quiche
- Ham and Asparagus Quiche from Simply Recipes
- Roasted Vegetable Quiche from use real butter
What I was cooking:
- One year ago – Tomato Jam
- Two years ago – Black and White Bean Soup
- Three years ago – Steak Sandwich