This Carrot and Dried Cranberry Salad updates the standard recipe with dried cranberries, vanilla yogurt, and toasted pecans.
One of my favorite old-fashioned salads is the classic carrot and raisin. I love the crunchy carrots with the chewy raisins and tangy-sweet mayonnaise dressing of that well-known standard.
It’s a dependable recipe that is enjoyed by both adults and children. I was thinking recently about how I might change that recipe to make it into something a bit different and new and the result is this Carrot and Dried Cranberry Salad.
Over the past few years, dried cranberries have become a favorite of many people and I often use them in place of raisins in muffins and breads. That was an easy substitute.
And then in place of the mayonnaise which, curiously, I find many people dislike (mayonnaise lover here!), I thought I’d try yogurt. A vanilla flavored Greek yogurt for sweetness. Worked great!
I added some cinnamon and toasted pecans to the mix and came up with a salad that tastes quite reminiscently of carrot cake or muffins. I just loved it and hope you will, too!
How to Make Carrot and Dried Cranberry Salad
Heat the oven to 350 degrees and toast the chopped pecans until they are slightly darkened. Take care not to overcook, they toast quickly.
While the pecans are toasting, peel and grate the carrots.
In a large bowl, combine the grated carrots, toasted pecans, dried cranberries, yogurt, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Mix to combine thoroughly.
More Salad Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Spring Salad with Strawberries and Sweet Balsamic Dressing
- Tomato and Avocado Salad
- Ham and Black Bean Summer Salad
- Black-Eyed Pea Salad
carrot salad recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Classic Carrot Salad from Simply Recipes
- Moroccan Carrot and Chickpea Salad from 101 Cookbooks
- Sesame Cucumber Carrot Salad from White on Rice Couple
- French Carrot Fennel Salad from Steamy Kitchen
- Carrot, Apple and Walnut Salad from Natasha’s Kitchen
- Tropical Carrot Salad from Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 5-6 medium to large carrots
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Dash of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees and toast the chopped pecans until they are slightly darkened. Take care not to overcook, they toast quickly.
- While the pecans are toasting, peel and grate the carrots.
- In a large bowl, combine the grated carrots, toasted pecans, dried cranberries, yogurt, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Mix to combine thoroughly.
- Serve immediately.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 352 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 2mg Sodium: 67mg Carbohydrates: 44g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 36g Protein: 7g