Slow Cooker Pulled Pork - my fool-proof slow cooker method for preparing southern style pulled pork shoulder.
I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! We certainly did. It was pretty amazing and I'm going to write a little more on that later this week.
But today, since everybody is really tired of turkey, I'm going to share my method of cooking pulled pork.
You know what pulled pork is, right? Yep, it's just a slow-cooked pork roast that has been pulled into shreds and mixed with barbecue sauce. If it sounds really simple, that's because it is!
And if you have a slow cooker, it's almost child's play. Just pop that big old roast in the cooker, set it and forget it.
You could start this before you leave for work and have dinner nearly ready when you walk back in the door. It's also great on a busy Saturday when you have lots of errands to run. It's great for no special reason at all...just because you want some pulled pork :-)
How to Make Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
You'll want a three to four-pound pork shoulder (or Boston Butt) roast for this. The bottom side of the roast will have a cap of fat all over it - don't remove that, it gives the pork some great flavor and keeps it from drying out while you cook it.
Put the pork roast into the slow cooker with the fatty side up then as it cooks the fat will drip down basting the roast all during the cooking.
Sprinkle the roast liberally with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add just ¼ cup of water around the roast. Cover and cook for about 7 hours.
Remove the roast from the cooker and discard the visible pieces of fat.
Pour the cooking juices into a fat separator cup and set it aside while you pull the pork.
Using two forks, “pull” the pork into shreds.
Return the pulled meat to the cooker along with the de-fatted cooking juices and barbecue sauce. Cook for an additional hour.
Serve on toasted buns and enjoy!
More Slow Cooker Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Slow Cooker Bread Pudding
- Shredded Beef Tacos in the Slow Cooker
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes and Ham
Pulled Pork Recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Perfect Pulled Pork from Kevin and Amanda
- An explanation of Pulled Pork from The Spruce Eats
- Carolina Style Pulled Pork from use real butter
- Pulled Pork for Dummies from Shared Appetite
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- 3-4 lb. pork shoulder roast Boston Butt
- Garlic Powder
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- Put the pork roast into the slow cooker with the fatty side up.
- Sprinkle the roast liberally with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add just ¼ cup of water around the roast. Cover and cook for 7 hours.
- Remove the roast from the cooker and discard the visible pieces of fat.
- Pour the cooking juices into a fat separator cup and set it aside while you pull the pork.
- Using two forks, “pull” the pork into shreds.
- Return the pulled meat to the cooker along with the de-fatted cooking juices and barbecue sauce. Cook for an additional hour.
- Serve on toasted buns.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.