Sloppy Joes are a great, quick dinner for Back to School time. Get these on the table in under 30 minutes
Ready for back to school? Tomorrow is our grandson, A’s, first day back. He and his sister, Mag, spent about ten days with me and BeeBop a couple of weeks ago and we had a huge, great time! We went to the Georgia Aquarium, Stone Mountain, swimming, ball games…we packed a lot into those days.
A, Mag and Mommy went to school orientation this morning and L said he was very excited. His school is doing something really unique. His entire class, along with their teacher, is moving together from third to fourth grade. It’s going to be so neat that they all already know each other and won’t have to spend those first few weeks figuring out how to best work together. Plus, A really, really likes his teacher. I hope they all move to fifth grade together, too!
So tomorrow is back to the regular school routine. And who doesn’t need something quick and easy to put on the table on a school night. Especially after you’ve worked all day yourself and you’re pretty tired, huh?
There’s nothing really new or different or unique about this recipe. It’s about as standard as they come, but it’s a good one to have in your repertoire. You can also make the meat sauce ahead and freeze it. Just thaw it in the microwave and supper’s ready!
How to Make Sloppy Joes
Start by chopping the onion, bell pepper, and celery and mince the garlic.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often until the vegetables are softened (about 5-7 minutes).
Add the ground beef to the skillet. Cook while breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until it is no longer pink (about 6-8 minutes).
Stir in the tomato sauce, catsup and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes.
Taste and season with more salt and pepper, if needed. Spread toasted buns with mustard. Spoon beef mixture onto buns and serve immediately.
Pin to Your Back to School Pinterest Board!
More Easy Dinner Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Beef Stew in the Pressure Cooker
- Quick and Easy Chili
- Creamy Steak and Mushrooms
- Italian Sausage and Rotini
Easy Dinner Recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Quick and Easy 15 Minute Chicken Stir Fry from Oh Sweet Basil
- Easy Mongolian Beef from Dinner Then Dessert
- Sheet Pan Cashew Chicken from I Heart Eating
- 1 tblsp canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 15-oz can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup catsup
- 1 tblsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- Start by chopping the onion, bell pepper and celery and mince the garlic. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are softened (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add the ground beef to the skillet. Cook while breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until it is no longer pink (about 6-8 minutes).
- Stir in the tomato sauce, catsup and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper, if needed. Spread toasted buns with mustard.
- Spoon beef mixture onto buns and serve immediately.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
- Lodge 10.25 Inch Cast Iron Skillet. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet Pan for Stovetop of Oven Use
- John Boos Block RA03 Maple Wood Edge Grain Reversible Cutting Board, 24 Inches x 18 Inches x 2.25 Inches
- Wusthof Classic Chef's Knife: 6"
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 532 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 101mg Sodium: 1136mg Carbohydrates: 38g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 13g Protein: 37g
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make!
if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post: