Even though it’s still August with daily temps hovering around 90 degrees and the humidity nearly as high, there’s something almost imperceptible in the air. The days are beginning to shorten. There’s just a hint, a tease, of cool weather some mornings. And an occasional day when the light takes on that clear, autumn-like quality. The last few weeks of summer always feel like “goodbye” to me. Or maybe it’s more like “re-entry.” We go back to our regular schedules, see the grandkids a lot less, and start getting ready for all the things that come with fall. Like football. And Halloween. And Thanksgiving.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
Of course, the grandkids are back in school now (that’s them in the photo above taken at ZooAtlanta a few weeks ago) and they’re both really enjoying seeing their friends again every day. They’ve settled back into their routines. Our daughter has started her fall semester at UNCA so she’s back in her regular routine as well. It’s such a busy time for their family, and probably yours, too. I remember those times so well when I barely had time to make sure my shoes matched before running out the door to get to school and work. What to cook for dinner on those busy days was the last thing on my mind. So, please allow me to give you a hand with meal planning, okay?
I’ve prepared a roundup of some of the best, most kid-friendly recipes my files. Every one of them has been kid tested and approved by Aidan and Maggie and I’m betting that you and your kids will like them, too!
- Banana Split Cones
- Boiled Peanuts
- Coke Floats
- Old-Fashioned Southern Teacakes
- Pimiento Cheese
- Outrageous Chocolate Cookies
- Texas Sheetcake
- Sloppy Joes
- All-American Meatloaf
- Baked Meatballs and Spaghetti
- BeeBop’s Bacon Cheeseburger
- Beef Stew in the Pressure Cooker
- Meatloaf Burgers
- Caesar Salad Pizza
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Bake
- Shepherd’s Pie
- White Chicken Chili
- BLT Pasta
- Baked Spaghetti
So there you have it! The best from my recipe files to help you get through these first hectic weeks of school. I sincerely hope you find one or two things here that you and your family enjoy!
More Recipe Collections
- Best Soups and Stews
- Best Traditional Southern Comfort Food Recipes
- Best Pantry Recipes To Make Today. No Shopping Needed.
- Best St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- Chocolate Recipes Perfect for Valentine’s Day
- My Best Super Bowl Recipes for Your Best Game Day Ever!
- Best of the Best Thanksgiving Menu Planner
- Best Red, White, and Blue 4th of July Recipes
- Your Labor Day Menu
- Memorial Day Menu Planning
- Christmas Recipe Roundup – Appetizers
- Christmas Recipe Roundup – Homemade Candies
- A Meat and Potatoes Father’s Day Celebration