Ham Apple and Brie Panini - a lovely summer panini sandwich with good deli ham, crispy tart apple, creamy brie and the beautiful tang of Dijon mustard.
We're still in full-on summer mode around here. Hot days and warm nights. Actually sweltering days with a heat index around 110 and nights where the air conditioning can't keep up with the heat.
This kind of weather makes me just not want to cook. Or eat much either. It always seems that I tend to snack more in the summer. Especially on weekends. Little snacks during the day rather than complete meals.
And I've always found that sandwiches really fit the bill in hot weather. Cut them into halves or fourths and they become a perfect afternoon snack to share with one or two others. Of course, the cold sandwiches require no heating up of the kitchen at all and most hot sandwiches just need a little time in a press or an electric grill to make them all warm and yummy.
Last Saturday afternoon was one of those typically hot days when snacks just seemed more appropriate than an actual lunch, so I got out my old George Foreman grill and made up this gorgeous sandwich. The sandwich is an interesting combination of flavors with a little tanginess from the Dijon mustard plus a little salty taste from the ham, the rich creaminess of the brie and a tart, sweet apple.
The whole thing is grilled until the brie is runny and delicious but the apple keeps its fresh, crisp crunch. It was completely delicious and I'll definitely be making it again. I could also see this sandwich cut into tiny triangles and served as a tea sandwich. I probably would skip the grilling for tea :-)Ham Apple and Brie Panini - a lovely summer panini sandwich with good deli ham, crispy tart apple, creamy brie and the beautiful tang of Dijon mustard. Click To Tweet
How to Make Ham Apple Brie Panini
You start by mixing some soft, room temperature butter with Dijon mustard. Then spread some of the mixture on two slices of bread.
Top the bread with some good deli ham, two or three slices of brie and half a Granny Smith apple very thinly sliced. Put the top on your sandwich and then spread one side very lightly with a little more of the mustard-butter mixture.
Place the buttered side down on the grill or press. Lightly butter the remaining side with the rest of the mustard-butter. Close the grill and cook according to your grill's instructions.
The result will be a beautifully browned tangy, salty, sweet, creamy delightful sandwich! Let it cool just slightly and then...
More Sandwich Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Asian Style Barbecue Chicken Sandwich
- Mediterranean Pressed Sandwich
- Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Roasted Tomato Sandwich
Panini Recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Panini Happy is an entire blog devoted to panini recipes. You'll find something wonderful there every time you visit.
- Turkey, Brie, Pear and Cherry Chipotle Panini from Cookin' Canuck
- Portabello Mushroom and Basil Pesto Panini from Eclectic Recipes
- Bacon, Apple and Cheddar Breakfast Panini from Inn Cuisine
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
Ham, Apple and Brie Panini
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. softened butter
- 2 slices sandwich bread
- 2-3 slices deli ham
- 2-3 slices brie
- ½ Granny Smith apple thinly sliced
- Mix together the Dijon mustard and butter.
- Spread one slide of each slice of bread with the mustard-butter mixture.
- Arrange the ham, brie and apple slices on the buttered side of one slice of bread.
- Place the second slice of bread, buttered side to the inside on top of the sandwich.
- Spread the outside very lightly with some of the remaining mustard-butter mixture.
- Place the buttered side of the sandwich onto the Panini grill. You can also use a frying pan heated to medium-high heat in place of a Panini grill.
- Lightly butter the remaining side of the sandwich with mustard-butter.
- Close the grill and cook according to your grill instructions.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Lana Stuart is the cook and occasional traveler here at Never Enough Thyme. Lana has been cooking since she was tall enough to reach the stove and started this blog in 2009 to share her delicious home cooking recipes. You'll find about 700 recipes here so there's sure to be something your family will like!
More About Lana →