Fresh, tender pan fried zucchini sprinkled with lemon juice and Parmesan cheese. Great side dish for any time of year.
Zucchini is just one of those ubiquitous vegetables that seem to always be present. It's always in the grocery store's produce department and always in my fridge's crisper drawer.
It's also very easy to grow. I used to plant it every year but it grew so fast and took over so much space in the garden that I stopped growing it myself. Besides, it's dirt cheap to purchase, right?
I pretty much keep zucchini on hand year round. We enjoy it in every season, but particularly in the winter. Right after the holidays, I always crave fresh, light, bright foods. I'm sure it's a bodily reaction to all the rich, indulgent eating that goes on around Christmas.
I mean, really, we just spent way over a month eating turkey, dressing, homemade cakes, pies, candies, prime rib, roasted buttery vegetables, and loaded mashed potatoes. I can't imagine why I'd crave something fresh, can you?
When I want something fresh, light, and easy, this Pan Fried Zucchini with Lemon and Parmesan is one of the recipes that I often turn to.
How to Make Pan Fried Zucchini with Lemon and Parmesan
All you need to do is slice your zucchini into about ¼" rounds, then salt and pepper it on both sides.
Heat a good, heavy skillet over medium heat and add some olive oil to the pan. Then cook the zucchini until it's golden brown on one side, flip it over and cook the other side.
Be sure to add the zucchini in a single layer to the pan so the slices don't overlap and make good contact with the pan. Work in batches and keep the finished slices warm in a low oven.
When you're finished, arrange the zucchini in a serving plate, squeeze a little lemon juice over the slices and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Sure will. You can use yellow squash just as well in this recipe. Try the yellow squash topped with cheddar cheese.
Oh, pretty much any fat. Try butter (make sure to keep the heat lower), or canola oil, or even corn oil. Confession: I've done this with bacon fat :-)
Substitute most any semi-firm cheese like asiago, grana padano or romano cheese. The zucchini won't care :-)
More Recipes You'll Love ...
Pan Fried Zucchini with Lemon and Parmesan
- 4 small zucchini washed and cut in ¼-inch rounds
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Generously sprinkle both sides of the zucchini slices with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. When the skillet is hot, add half the olive oil.
- Place the zucchini in the pan, making sure that the slices don’t overlap. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the bottom of the slices is nicely browned. Turn and cook the other side until browned.
- Transfer finished zucchini slices to a baking sheet and keep warm in a 200° oven while you finish cooking the remaining slices.
- Transfer the cooked zucchini slices to a serving plate. Squeeze lemon juice over and sprinkle with grated Parmesan.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.
-- This post was originally published on January 11, 2013.