An autumn alternative to oatmeal, Pear and Apple Compote with Yogurt and Granola. Warm cinnamon spiced pears and apples served over granola and Greek yogurt.
Everywhere I look lately, bloggers are posting their favorite oatmeal recipes. And rightly so. The leaves are changing, the temperatures are falling, and it's quickly becoming the season for warm, comforting recipes. I like a nice bowl of warm, spiced oatmeal on a cool morning, too. But, to be honest, I get tired of it pretty quickly. I enjoy a little something different once in a while.
This Pear and Apple Compote with Yogurt and Granola is a great alternative to our everyday oatmeal. It's warm and deliciously comforting and just different enough not to be boring! A bowl of granola topped with a bit of Greek yogurt and fruit. My idea of a perfect autumn breakfast. Yum!
How to Make Pear and Apple Compote with Yogurt and Granola
Use whatever varieties of apples and pears you like for this recipe. I used Honeycrisp apples this time along with two gorgeous red Bartlett pears just because that's what I had on hand. Granny Smith apples are a good choice, too.
Peel and core the apples and pears and cut them into similar sized chunks.
Place the fruit, along with the sugar, cinnamon, and water, in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook 15-20 minutes or until the pears and apples are soft. The cooking time is up to you. If you like your fruit a bit softer, cook longer. Stir frequently during the cooking time.
About halfway through cooking stir in the raisins. I wait to add them in so that they aren't completely mushy. Again, up to you. If you like yours to turn to mush, add them at the start. I won't judge :-)
Divide the granola among 4 bowls and top each with two tablespoons Greek yogurt and ¼ of the pear-apple compote. Drizzle the milk or cream around the edges of the bowl. Dust the top with a bit of ground cinnamon if you like. Serve warm.
More Breakfast Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
fruit compote from Other Bloggers:
- Small Batch Cranberry Pear Compote from Small Bites
- Cornmeal Waffles with Blackberry Compote from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Blueberry Compote from Skinny Taste
- Apple, Ginger, and Cardamom Compote from Green Kitchen Stories
Pin to Your Pinterest Breakfast Board!
Pear and Apple Compote with Yogurt and Granola
- 2 large cooking apples peeled and cored
- 2 pears peeled and cored
- 2 tblsp. sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tblsp. water
- ¼ cup raisins
- 2 cups granola
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup milk or cream
- Cut the apples and pears into similar sized chunks. Place them, along with the sugar, cinnamon, and water, in a heavy bottomed sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook 15-20 minutes or until the pears and apples are soft. Stir frequently during the cooking time.
- About halfway through cooking stir in the raisins.
- Divide the granola among 4 bowls and top each with two tablespoons Greek yogurt and ¼ of the pear-apple compote. Drizzle the milk or cream around the edges of the bowl. Serve warm.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make!
if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
Lana Stuart is the cook and occasional traveler here at Never Enough Thyme. Lana has been cooking since she was tall enough to reach the stove and started this blog in 2009 to share her delicious home cooking recipes. You'll find about 700 recipes here so there's sure to be something your family will like!
More About Lana →