Everywhere I look lately, bloggers are posting their favorite oatmeal recipes. And rightly so. The leaves are changing, the temperatures are falling, and it’s quickly becoming the season for warm, comforting recipes. And I like a nice bowl of warm, spiced oatmeal on a cool morning, too. But, to be honest, I get tired of it pretty quickly. I like variety. A little something different once in a while.
This Pear and Apple Compote with Yogurt and Granola is a great alternative to our everyday oatmeal. It’s warm and deliciously comforting and just different enough not to be boring! A bowl of granola topped with a bit of Greek yogurt and fruit. My idea of a perfect autumn breakfast. Yum!
Tired of oatmeal? Try this Pear & Apple Compote with Yogurt and Granola for a change.Click To Tweet
Use whatever varieties of apples and pears you like for this recipe. I used Honeycrisp apples this time along with two gorgeous red Bartlett pears just because that’s what I had on hand. Granny Smith apples are a good choice, too.
Peel and core the apples and pears and cut them into similar sized chunks.
Place the fruit, along with the sugar, cinnamon, and water, in a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook 15-20 minutes or until the pears and apples are soft. The cooking time is up to you. If you like your fruit a bit softer, cook longer. Stir frequently during the cooking time.
About halfway through cooking stir in the raisins. I wait to add them in so that they aren’t completely mushy. Again, up to you. If you like yours to turn to mush, add them at the start. I won’t judge :-)
Divide the granola among 4 bowls and top each with two tablespoons Greek yogurt and 1/4 of the pear-apple compote. Drizzle the milk or cream around the edges of the bowl. Dust the top with a bit of ground cinnamon if you like. Serve warm.
More fruit compote recipes you might enjoy from around the internet:
- Small Batch Cranberry Pear Compote from Small Bites
- Cornmeal Waffles with Blackberry Compote from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Rosewater Plum Compote from 101 Cookbooks
- Blueberry Compote from Skinny Taste
- Apple, Ginger, and Cardamom Compote from Green Kitchen Stories
What I was up to…
- One Year Ago: Pork Chops with Apple Puree and Bacon and Blue Cheese Dip
- Two Years Ago: Grilled Cheese Florentine and Caraway Cheese Spread
- Three Years Ago: Sausage and Kale Soup
- Four Years Ago: Spicy White Bean Dip and Cream Cheese Filled Pumpkin Roll
- Five Years Ago: Simple Grilled Fish and Grilled Pork Chops